Running Point to Point in the US

tasuinam

Soooooo.... my driver delivered in Laredo, TX and called to say that the owner of the warehouse asked him to take a load from TX to SC - and offered an insane amount of $$$$. This guy actually said 'I have many drivers who do this - I will show you what to do with your logs and your company will never know"....
This is very scary to me - is there a way for drivers to move without us knowing (we are ELD compliant with Omnitracs - so cannot really edit driving time at all). Thank god this driver is a long time employee and called to let us know - the customer in on our DNU list.

I just want to know what to look out for / monitor in this scenario. Anyone have a similar experience? I mean how would I not notice that my driver delivered in SC instead of TX....makes no sense how anyone would do this without the company knowing

NotForHire

The only way to do that is with a driver who is eligible to work in the usa weather through a citizenship or a work permit. A Canadian only citizen cannot do that. This is a very basic labor law, before even a trucking law becomes violated. In no uncertain terms this is taking away work and tax dollars from the usa government, and that's why it is illegal - not because of insurance of the dot.....

That's why Rosedale, wellington, hgc and others have usa only fleets with usa citizen drivers.

dad2andrew

Depending on where the TX load originated, a Canadian driver could do it. If it was from Mexico for example and brought to Laredo, going to some other state, no problem with a Canadian doing it. If it was from Houston to Nashville for instance, that is not allowed.

loaders

Site Supporter
Regardless if the on board technology could determine whether an unauthorized trip happened or not, my concern would be, what type of employee do I have operating my equipment? There are hundreds of different temptations available out on the road, you have to ensure that you have the right guy/girl behind the wheel and doesn't succumb to them.

tasuinam

Regardless if the on board technology could determine whether an unauthorized trip happened or not, my concern would be, what type of employee do I have operating my equipment? There are hundreds of different temptations available out on the road, you have to ensure that you have the right guy/girl behind the wheel and doesn't succumb to them.
Yes - I am glad our employees have a great relationship with us - it irks me how people just approach my employees to do stuff when it is not their decision to make...

tasuinam

The only way to do that is with a driver who is eligible to work in the usa weather through a citizenship or a work permit. A Canadian only citizen cannot do that. This is a very basic labor law, before even a trucking law becomes violated. In no uncertain terms this is taking away work and tax dollars from the usa government, and that's why it is illegal - not because of insurance of the dot.....

That's why Rosedale, wellington, hgc and others have usa only fleets with usa citizen drivers.
True - That I know - I think his guy was just trying to do something under the table ... don't understand why when there are so many options available in the US with US drivers

NotForHire

True - That I know - I think his guy was just trying to do something under the table ... don't understand why when there are so many options available in the US with US drivers
since that big snow storm in texas a few months ago the tx spot market for outbound reefers intra usa is almost always 5-7$usd per mile anywhere in the, some times on relly short runs even more.

tasuinam

since that big snow storm in texas a few months ago the tx spot market for outbound reefers intra usa is almost always 5-7$usd per mile anywhere in the, some times on relly short runs even more.
WOW!!!! clearly need to find a US citizen driver :)

RAINDOG

That would be the one day, you get a perfect reload from Texas paying what you need to get home then getting a call from your driver saying, "I can't do the load, I am in SC?"

Jim L

Soooooo.... my driver delivered in Laredo, TX and called to say that the owner of the warehouse asked him to take a load from TX to SC - and offered an insane amount of $$$$.
Probably a load that contained drugs or other contraband....

If its too good to be true.....

Michael Ludwig

Depending on where the TX load originated, a Canadian driver could do it. If it was from Mexico for example and brought to Laredo, going to some other state, no problem with a Canadian doing it. If it was from Houston to Nashville for instance, that is not allowed.
Now hang on because that is not exactly correct. What is more germane to the conversation is how the freight got into the U.S. If the freight was landed into the U.S., even if it was from Mexico, it is illegal for Canadian driver to do it. If the load was bonded across the U.S. border to a bonded destination in South Carolina, or picked up from a Free Trade Zone (FTZ) in Texas and delivered to an FTZ in South Carolina, then it is legal for a Canadian to do it.
There are two (2) caveats to the above ...
1) The goods are of Mexican origin and have only been warehoused in the United States, are in their original shipping containers, and have not been advanced in value.
2) The goods are ocean caught fresh fish.
A general rule of thumb: If the goods have entered United States Commerce then only a U.S. citizen (or equivalent) can haul it. If the goods have not entered United States Commerce, then anyone can move it, provided they possess the requisite permits to do so.

As for the ELD part, no, there is no way for your driver to move without the company knowing it. That does of course presume that someone is in fact watching what you trucks are doing.

tasuinam

Now hang on because that is not exactly correct. What is more germane to the conversation is how the freight got into the U.S. If the freight was landed into the U.S., even if it was from Mexico, it is illegal for Canadian driver to do it. If the load was bonded across the U.S. border to a bonded destination in South Carolina, or picked up from a Free Trade Zone (FTZ) in Texas and delivered to an FTZ in South Carolina, then it is legal for a Canadian to do it.
There are two (2) caveats to the above ...
1) The goods are of Mexican origin and have only been warehoused in the United States, are in their original shipping containers, and have not been advanced in value.
2) The goods are ocean caught fresh fish.
A general rule of thumb: If the goods have entered United States Commerce then only a U.S. citizen (or equivalent) can haul it. If the goods have not entered United States Commerce, then anyone can move it, provided they possess the requisite permits to do so.

As for the ELD part, no, there is no way for your driver to move without the company knowing it. That does of course presume that someone is in fact watching what you trucks are doing.
Watching like a hawk!

tasuinam

LOL ... hate to see someone get hung out to dry with some "almost correct information" :)
My motto - when in doubt - Dont' do it ...has kept me sane - but we do have an American driver - he never applied for US citizenship - maybe we 'encourage' him lol

loaders

Site Supporter
You might want to re think that description of your “American“ driver. If he doesn’t have American citizenship, he is no more an American than I am.