PODs

PackRat

Site Supporter
Morning all,

Like to get some input on PODs. We have a carrier that keeps sending us signed PODs with their invoices, however, they are signed for from their delivery agents and not the actual customer. IE....we give them a delivery to Vancouver and the POD is signed for as delivered with signature "Bob"...but Bob is the receiver from their delivery agent in Vancouver who does the final mile delivery so not the actual customer that the shipment is consigned to. So...question....would that be considered a "forged" POD as the carrier was contracted to deliver to the customer and are providing PODs for said delivery...but...they are not signed for by said consignee? Input?
What about any potential claims? IE. shipment is delivered clear POD to the agent...but the actual customer signs their copy as damaged. Thoughts?
PR

jonny-chicken

Site Supporter
Morning all,

Like to get some input on PODs. We have a carrier that keeps sending us signed PODs with their invoices, however, they are signed for from their delivery agents and not the actual customer. IE....we give them a delivery to Vancouver and the POD is signed for as delivered with signature "Bob"...but Bob is the receiver from their delivery agent in Vancouver who does the final mile delivery so not the actual customer that the shipment is consigned to. So...question....would that be considered a "forged" POD as the carrier was contracted to deliver to the customer and are providing PODs for said delivery...but...they are not signed for by said consignee? Input?
What about any potential claims? IE. shipment is delivered clear POD to the agent...but the actual customer signs their copy as damaged. Thoughts?
PR
Hey PackRat,

Not sure I would call it "forged", but this is definitely not good practice...

Seems pretty basic that you want the end receiver of the goods to sign off on receipt...

Having the local delivery agent sign received basically just says that the local delivery agent received everything ok... but what about the guy at the end of the line?

What this does, is leave the local delivery agent liable for any claims by the end receiver...

Just my opinion...

Shakey

Site Supporter
Had this issue in past with YRC but they would eventually scan in the POD for final delivery within a week.
These should internal documents for carrier POT(proof of transfer) not scanned as POD but POT. Agree with Jonny not forged but definitely bad procedure, I'm sure you cant be only client with issues on this

loaders

Site Supporter
Maybe the delivering agent uses their own Probills or some such thing and gets that signed by the receiver. In any event you are certainly entitled to ask for a B/L signed by the receiver, and the carrier is obligated to provide you with one.. You might want to turn the heat up on them.

Beep Beep

Ask for the delivering agent's signed POD by the receiver?
Or withhold payment until proof of delivery to final client is received from the agent?

Personally, I would call the receiver to confirm delivery and ask for a copy of the signed POD from them if they have it. If not, an email release that states the good were indeed delivered. Just my thoughts...

PackRat

Site Supporter
Yeah....I think it's just laziness and an effort to get their invoices out faster. Billing sees a "POD" and sends it out....I know the product is getting delivered but just wanted some input on the situation as I'm getting a little pissy! LOL