How much compensation would you expect?

martinetav

So here's the scenario (pick up in US for Canada): Driver goes in for a pickup where our eta was around 11 a.m. He arrives a little early, around 10h30, and is backed up to the dock and they begin loading almost immediately. So far so good :) loading is completed well within the 2 allotted hours (about 1h15 minutes). Lunch time comes and goes, no paperwork. Okay, so we chalk it of to lunch breaks. 1, 2, 3 o'clock, still no paperwork. Driver is getting a little impatient which is normal since he has just seen at the very least 200 miles of time go bye bye. Even the shipping guy doesn't understand saying that it never takes that long for the paperwork to appear. Finally, 3h30 and paperwork arrives and it is sent to us by e-mail, YOUPPI! but not so fast. Fifteen minutes after sending said paperwork, and agent calls me to tell me that IT'S NOT OUR CUSTOMER... WTF! After a few minutes of discussion, I realize that the paperwork is not properly filled out and that the 'customer', who is on the paperwork, has not been identified properly so as to make them the broker's customer... We immediately notify the US load broker of the problem and they get on it immediately. The pick up was just a few hours from the border so when the driver arrived in Dexter, MI he stops for his ACI. We still haven't received the proper paperwork. By 8 p,m, our driver's log has run out... Next day load broker assures us that they are working for us. 8,9,10,11,noon, still no paperwork 1h30, FINALLY PAPERWORK come through :) we present it to the custom broker and YES BINGO everything is A okay :) Load is finally released at around 3 p.m. We can now proceed. And just a little service note; despite the 24 hour delay, our driver make the first thing Monday morning delivery Rock 'n Roll my friend the merchandise arrives on time to catch the train to move way up north... pat on the back for the driver.

Now we negotiate the extra charges. We were hoping to get at the very least, a layover and about 7 or 8 hours of waiting time even if the driver waited for a little over 10 hours. We have gotten the layover authorized (a little cheap but...) But the freight broker's customer is refusing to pay waiting time. They tell us that a layover covers a 24 hour period.
What we are trying to figure out is, are we being unreasonable in expecting waiting time? Could any of you please tell us what you would expect as far as compensation for this type of scenario. Also, this is taking place on our ST-JEAN BAPTISTE holiday and I am taking care of this from home well, actually from my daughter home as I was babysitting her little bundle of joy while she worked :)

Freight Broker

I would go with $50.00 an hour beyond two hours. So whatever that works out to less what they've already paid in layover. You probably won't get that out of the broker, but its a starting point, and the rate is justifiable. Any contract that you might have with them that spells out wait time compensation would of course be helpful.

If you do alot of business with that broker and you value them as a customer you might just forget about it. After all, bad luck haunts us all. You wouldn't want them coming after you for a late delivery due to breakdown on some future load.

Last edited:

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Well it is waiting or layover not both so you need to choose 1 and run with it, either way we would start at $600, doesn't mean we would get it but it is the starting point.

ctsi

There was a discussion on this subject on June 21st in the coffee shop forum. Check it out for some suggestions and ideas.

theman

This usually happens when a sale is being made by someone through a broker (not a freight broker, but a broker of the commodity being shipped). I would have to educate shippers over and over again that even though in their minds a sale was made to one party and shipping to another party, it is the party paying the HST that is considered the 'sold to' for customs purposes.

Paper was always the biggest culprit for me ... though I haven't had that problem in quite a while.

martinetav

Well it is waiting or layover not both so you need to choose 1 and run with it, either way we would start at $600, doesn't mean we would get it but it is the starting point.
Converting to US, they are no way near that amount right now.