Drivers Inc.

tasuinam

More inspections, fines coming to Driver Inc. fleets | InsideTransport.com

The carriers that applied and received CEWS better hope they didn't include their Drivers Inc/Subcontractors in the calculation. Lets hope that CRA gets moving on this sooner than later.

This is a great starts and publicly noting the potential charge that other companies have paid might bring them to consider quitting the practice all together. Now I know one of the reasons why I cannot compete with some of these guys. They now need to go to each and every one of their contractors and identify if they have submitted a yearly tax form.

As quoted in: More inspections, fines coming to Driver Inc. fleets - Truck News

Thirty-four trucking businesses were audited, and 21 had to pay net adjustments.

While most upward adjustments ranged between $305 and $21,784, four businesses accounted for about 90% of the totals that were paid:

• 2067485 Ontario Inc. (doing business as Trillium Roadways) — $310,692.78 for adjusted executive officer earnings, adjusted total earnings per T4 summary, and adjusted reported contractor earnings
  • 2264236 Ontario Inc. (doing business as Ameri-Can Systems) — $206,854.05 for adjusted total earnings per T4 summary, adjusted other earnings not on T4 summary, and contractor earnings not reported
  • Just on Time Freight Systems Inc. — $188,810.69 for adjusted total earnings per T4 summary, and contractor earnings not reported
  • Hassan Habib Transport Ltd. — $141,990.09 for contractor earnings not reported, and adjusted reported contractor earnings
In the US they are squashing the 1099 - that would be our drivers Inc. model right?

Michael Ludwig

@Jim L ... Jim, you missed highlighting one of the best parts of the article ...
"In one twist of fate, Trillium Roadways’ offices actually served as a backdrop when then-Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour Patty Hajdu pledged to crack down on businesses that misclassified employees."
I think that in and of itself is funny as hell ... I'll bet Trillium management thought they had the government in their pocket so-to-speak ... ROFLMFAO
Sadly though it speaks to the ineptness of our current government :mad:

Jim L

@Jim L ... Jim, you missed highlighting one of the best parts of the article ...
"In one twist of fate, Trillium Roadways’ offices actually served as a backdrop when then-Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour Patty Hajdu pledged to crack down on businesses that misclassified employees."
I think that in and of itself is funny as hell ... I'll bet Trillium management thought they had the government in their pocket so-to-speak ... ROFLMFAO
Sadly though it speaks to the ineptness of our current government :mad:
Maybe they do, we'll have to see what their CRA fine turns out to be.

Michael Ludwig

The article was published again in Today's Trucking Trends, this time with comments. Some of them are just plain stupid, especially the one from Christopher Harris ... that one borders on exponential stupidity.