Baron Finance

Freight Broker

It's like when you buy a car. If Chevy or GM doesn't pay their supplier.. and their supplier doesn't pay their supplier it ultimately is rightfully YOUR responsibility to pay those suppliers directly.. doesn't matter if you paid the dealership for the car. Transportation is no different.. the law is fair.

loaders

Site Supporter
I"m not positive, but I seemed to detect a note of sarcasm in Freight brokers response. On the surface, it does seem ridiculous that after paying an invoice to the person you hired to do the work, could somehow lead to paying another, unknown party a second time for the same job. There is a legal term for it that I don't remember, but it involves the responsibility of the party paying the invoice to ensure that the party who performed the work ultimately gets paid. It just emphasizes the importance of knowing who you are dealing with each step of the way.

Freight Broker

Yes, I guess all I can add is that this serves to make us all more careful. When I first started out I brokered my loads to carriers and just assumed that if I hired Carrier A then Carrier A would pick up the load. Thanks to Rockman and a couple of others, I quickly learned to be more careful. Now my shippers and receivers record who comes in to their premises.. and if the name doesn't match who I've hired then we deal with it on the spot.

Factor

Actually, there is a lot that Baron Finance could do. First and foremost, it is the factoring company's responsibility to check the invoice and the supporting documentation to make sure that the load was not double brokered. If there is a suspicion (or a direct admission by the carrier that he brokered the load to another carrier), then the client of Baron Finance has to present original PODs showing the other carrier's credentials, and the factoring company will pay the actual carrier. The difference is what the client of the factoring company is entitled to if he indeed brokered the load. If this is not done, the actual carrier has the right to go after the shipper/consignee and have the factoring company sued too as the third party. Baron Finance could contact their client and tell him that they would immediately halt the factoring, would possibly use any reserve amounts outstanding as a payment to the actual carrier and also would consider their client in default with all the legal consequenses of such an action.

htcollections

Suspended Member
I recently dealt with Baron Finance. They seem to be very professional these days. I am seeing more and more factoring businesses out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Factor

These are two, and not "many". JD Factors and Riviera once were one company - Riviera Finance. Very traditional, old-fashioned, by-the-book. In this time and age clients are more demanding and require a lot more flexibility.

KeyFactor

It's like when you buy a car. If Chevy or GM doesn't pay their supplier.. and their supplier doesn't pay their supplier it ultimately is rightfully YOUR responsibility to pay those suppliers directly.. doesn't matter if you paid the dealership for the car. Transportation is no different.. the law is fair.

I think the difference between the case in question and your car dealer analogy is that transport is governed by the Bill of Lading Act and the company acting as broker is in a deemed trust position. Not sure that applies to a car dealer.

KeyFactor

Question: anyone have any legal experience in which the carrier name appearing on the BoL is not the same as the carrier that actually delivered the load? Obviously a double- or co-brokerage situation and one in which the carrier confirmation SHOULD sufficiently demonstrate who actually carried the load, but I'm curious if that approach is sometimes rejected in court.