Who the hell?

Who the heck is Transportation Services.ca? Flatbed load from Toronto to Edmonton for $3,800.00 cdn ???? Sorry, still can't stop laughing!!!!!!!! I thought Traffic Tech had, slap in the face rates, but this takes the cake. News for you, if you don't know the market, stay OUT of it !!! Like seriously, would a van even go out there for that? I'd have a hard time driving my pick up out there for that chump change.

JUST ME

Let it sit on the dock and rot for that kind of coin problem is that some fool will take it
I have seen some silly rates in the past few months
When the trucks start running on air then we can roll for peanuts

What I don't understand, is how can they give rates like that and still hold their heads up high? Don't they realize that once things start turning around, carriers will remember who did all the under cutting etc, and it won't be nice for alot of these brokers. Hell, half the ones I call now don't even know what kind of freight it is that they're trying to move, never mind having a "proper" rate on it.

drob

decided for shits and giggles to look into this a bit. Transportation services lists the USDOT # of ET transport on their website( not to mention they can't spell on their site) and looked briefly here and there was a thread about them ( ET) double brokering. Both at the same address except one is unit B & the other C. Woulden't surprise me if this was double brokered. $3800 is pretty low for a van as well

JUST ME

When things do turn around for the better we'll all have a list
As the saying goes paybacks ??!!
A GOOD company will know the details of what there moving and I run like hell if they don't , 1st RED FLAG is when they don't know what there movin !!

When things do turn around for the better we'll all have a list
As the saying goes paybacks ??!!
A GOOD company will know the details of what there moving and I run like hell if they don't , 1st RED FLAG is when they don't know what there movin !!

I think the first red flag is when you call, the first thing out of their pie hole is "how much" at that point, I just hang up. Or they get annoyed that you're asking questions such as commodity, weight, tarps etc. FYI the real good carriers ask these questions before even considering giving a rate, reason being, as usual, you get what you pay for. And listen up knuckleheads, tarping charges VARY depending on the freight!!! We're not asking what you're shipping so we can steal your customer, we're asking so we can give you a fair rate on your load. It's funny that when a load is light, say about 15,000 LBS they want a break on the rate, but when it hits 48,000 they don't want to pay more.

faey06

Site Supporter
I think the first red flag is when you call, the first thing out of their pie hole is "how much" at that point, I just hang up. Or they get annoyed that you're asking questions such as commodity, weight, tarps etc. FYI the real good carriers ask these questions before even considering giving a rate, reason being, as usual, you get what you pay for. And listen up knuckleheads, tarping charges VARY depending on the freight!!! We're not asking what you're shipping so we can steal your customer, we're asking so we can give you a fair rate on your load. It's funny that when a load is light, say about 15,000 LBS they want a break on the rate, but when it hits 48,000 they don't want to pay more.
I couldn't agree more!! The amount of people that get annoyed because I'm asking about dims & weight & say "just give me a rate!" I usually tell them that "no answers, no rate"

PackRat

Site Supporter
One interesting point to consider though is that when you ask some people what they need they get pissy that you don't have a rate in the first place? We have some odd ball flat deck, drop deck moves that do have special requirements and I will always ask what they need AFTER all the information is given....like mentioned above...tarps no tarps...etc makes a difference in the price.....maybe they don't expect it or are shocked that we don't say "how much" first....

Freight Broker

What I don't get is who would hire a truck for 2800.00 when the railroad is so much cheaper...Toronto to Edmonton works well with CN or CP... take your pick..and servcie levels are excellent too.

There are probably just as many carriers that call on postings that first ask how much you paying as brokers asking how much you want. Let's face it both sides want the other to show their hand first. I have had carriers call on postings that have said how much you paying and didn't bother to ask any questions even after the posting indicated a service they don't provide (eg: HazMat, Heat or Team)

Some freight can not go rail due to extra couple of days transit or if the freight is somewhat fragile.

As for CN and CP should we even go there???? Service are you kidding me?? Don't use them unless you are open to them backsoliciting your client. They have made it clear that they are going to the beneficial owner of the freight and less to third parties.

Freight Broker

They won't back solicit successfully unless all you're offering your customer is price...then yes...they will back solicit. Service btw..is excellent..I consolidate LTL in Montreal and Toronto and ship west via both CN and CP..looking to do whe same with CSX and NS in the US..

Pablo

Site Supporter
Someone should report them

It's actually illegal to sell or market your trucking service under any other name than that which is listed on your MC license.

Check CFR 49 1045.7
"A broker shall not perform,or offer to perform, any brokerage services (including advertising), in any name other than that in which its license is issued"

Last edited:
What I don't get is who would hire a truck for 2800.00 when the railroad is so much cheaper...Toronto to Edmonton works well with CN or CP... take your pick..and servcie levels are excellent too.

Well you see, there's the kicker, they wanted a Friday delivery, let me see a train do that.

Freight Broker

And don't need to..you see...those kinds of transit times are only required to cover a salesman's unrealistic delivery promise and/or someone's mistake. Expedited service requirements are often (but not always) due to poor planning or pie in the sky JIT requirements. We as transportation people need to stand up and say NO to this silliness...as I did just this morning. A frenzied customer called me to ask for "a miracle"...he wanted a pickup in Savannah GA today with delivery in Toronto tomorrow..can it be done?..sure...SHOULD it be done? A resounding NO to that one. I'm not going to bend myself around like a pretzel because some twiddlehead made an unrealistic promise on delivery times.

And don't need to..you see...those kinds of transit times are only required to cover a salesman's unrealistic delivery promise and/or someone's mistake. Expedited service requirements are often (but not always) due to poor planning or pie in the sky JIT requirements. We as transportation people need to stand up and say NO to this silliness...as I did just this morning. A frenzied customer called me to ask for "a miracle"...he wanted a pickup in Savannah GA today with delivery in Toronto tomorrow..can it be done?..sure...SHOULD it be done? A resounding NO to that one. I'm not going to bend myself around like a pretzel because some twiddlehead made an unrealistic promise on delivery times.

Savannah to Toronto can be done with team service within 24 hours. If you don't want that customer please send them my way.

Freight Broker

great...get me a truck...what? You don't have one NOW??? Then join the club..you wouldn't be able to do a better job on it than I can. ..

Last edited:

Rob

Site Supporter
Oh I think you post a load out of anywhere in the southeast right now and the ringing will hurt you ears!!!

But then again the railroad cant do it for nothing so you can line your pockets and thats what your last few post in this thread have sounded like. Why are you even on here consolidate all your freight and rail it when you put all the carriers out of business you can just shoot down to the railhead in your Minivan and deliver right!!

What is so unrealistic about expidite freight anyway things do break lines go down basiclly poop happens and in your perfect little world I guess everthing must always be sugarplums and cherries....