Canada Cartage Posting more often

BPOVFB

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7972099B2/en

Getting there.. just mix that with the rearview camera, "composite/smart flooring censors", automated axle and tire gauge reports and you'll soon be able to haul 40,000lbs on B-trains... (lord knows it's going to be a tank with all those components) now how do we fix the tarping.....

NotForHire

Also, How can this autonomous truck do the ever so important C-TPAT walk around the truck and trailer and hit each tire with a hammer!

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
I dont think autonomous trucks will do dock to dock work. More like yard to yard work. I am almost 100% sure city drivers will still be needed.

You can start it out in Halifax and drop and hook across all of Canada until Vancouver and then repeat backwards. or Toronto to Dallas drop and hook, the cities are irrelevant but the idea is what is important

- But now that i think of it how will the truck deploy the landing gear and uncouple the hoses?
My thought is they would go to a marshalling yard on the outskirts of the city until a driver is available to make the final delivery to the customer because of that exact problem.

tasuinam

I dont think autonomous trucks will do dock to dock work. More like yard to yard work. I am almost 100% sure city drivers will still be needed.

You can start it out in Halifax and drop and hook across all of Canada until Vancouver and then repeat backwards. or Toronto to Dallas drop and hook, the cities are irrelevant but the idea is what is important

- But now that i think of it how will the truck deploy the landing gear and uncouple the hoses?
Yes!!!!! unless thats automated too....somehow

RAINDOG

I was under the impression there would still be an attendant in autonomous trucks. My brain hurts thinking about how we would manage emergency roadside situations without any communication to the truck.

How can I give out a driver's phone number if there isn't one in in the truck? lol

loaders

Site Supporter
There would be no need to give out the drivers number because the truck would never be late. It also wouldn’t sleep in, get lost, eat a bad burrito, fight with his wife/husband, need a day off, hurt its back, get drunk and hungover, etc, etc, etc. In jest I know, trucks, autonomous or not can still break down, blow a tire, get hung up in traffic, slowed by inclement weather, etc., etc., etc. Just the driver component, bless their hearts, is removed from the equation.

Igor Galanter

There would be no need to give out the drivers number because the truck would never be late. It also wouldn’t sleep in, get lost, eat a bad burrito, fight with his wife/husband, need a day off, hurt its back, get drunk and hungover, etc, etc, etc. In jest I know, trucks, autonomous or not can still break down, blow a tire, get hung up in traffic, slowed by inclement weather, etc., etc., etc. Just the driver component, bless their hearts, is removed from the equation.

But there are still exist viruses, bad updates, lost of internet or Wi-Fi connections... A list will grow, eh....

dad2andrew

I just can't wait until all the sensors get packed full of wet snow/slush. Just driving from Woodstock to Brantford in the correct conditions, some of my "accident avoidance" features are null and void.

RAINDOG

Once the driving force is automated, it would only be a matter of time before the whole process is automated - no more dispatchers, people to book freight or sell it - it could all be done automatically.

tasuinam

Once the driving force is automated, it would only be a matter of time before the whole process is automated - no more dispatchers, people to book freight or sell it - it could all be done automatically.
Finally I can sit on a beach and read - get paid to push buttons