Collection agency

noproblembuddy

Site Supporter
Hello, after how long (or under what circumstances) do people here sick a collection agency after a company that is repeatedly slow and nearly impossible to deal with? I'm also thinking of collecting from the receiver, or alerting them to the fact that their loads were brokered and not being paid in a timely manner. Ultimately, the paying party doesn't want to receive anymore collections calls from us (like it's their choice) so I'm going to escalate it since that is bad faith business on their part. Input, please. Thanks!

godfather

You can send them to collections, cut them off, or contact their customer. If they are a d-bag company, cut them off, do not use them any longer, get the monies owed collected, then advise their customer of your issues with their choice in companies.

noproblembuddy

Site Supporter
10-4. What account aging guideline do you use before you send the telephone toughguys after them though? I was thinking 60 days somehow.

loaders

Site Supporter
As mentioned on this site before.....if your payment terms (15, 30, 45 days, etc.) are not being met, send them to collections. If the non-payer is a broker, go after the party identified on the bill of lading as being responsible for the freight charges. If the non-payer is your own customer and you don't want to deal with them in the future, send your paperwork to either a para-legal for submission in Small Claims Court, or a recognized collection agency to hound them to death.

Activet

Collection agencie's nightmare

Fortunately, I've never had to seek the assistance of a collection agency, however I've been contacted only once by one. It was in regard to the method employed by the receiver of a bankrupt carrier that I owed money to. It was never past due until the collection agency became involved. They were contracted by the receiver to collect any monies due.

The first contact was with a young male that was aggressively belligerent in his demand for immediate payment from the onset of our conversation. When he was finished, I stated to him that I could not even discuss the matter with him under the constraints of PIPEDA, and that my reality, was that he was merely a voice on the phone, and didn't provide any credentials whatsoever to indicate that he was authorized to act in this or any other matter. This did not sit well with him, but I was unmoved by his demands. Eventually I sent payment directly to the receiver after receiving the POD and invoice, ignoring the collection agency altogether.

From this experience, I would be reluctant to use one as I think most people are capable of downloading and filling out the small claims court Plaintiff's Claim forms. Prior to spending the time and money to file them with the court and having them served, they can be faxed or emailed to the defendant(s), with the warning that they will be filed and served if ignored. This display of intent has almost always resulted in payment. This takes place no more than 30 days past due date.

Blondie

Collection Agencies

I have had good experience with collection agencies. I deal with one agency in Canada
and I have another agency in the States. Both are capable to collect on the Bill of Lading Act and do a great job too. I have been very successful with both agencies that I use.

As for the Small Claims Court system, that is also very timely. You can get judgment I would say within 2-3 months if service is done correctly and you can locate the parties. Getting Judgment is easy, but getting payment on that judgment is not always easy.

Whatever way you go it can take time in collecting.

If you have any questions or need help, IM me.

Enoch

Site Supporter
I would go the collection agency route if the situation came up again. I avoided them a couple years ago, went through all the proper processes in small claims court. Won the judgement, and he still wouldn't pay. If people know they owe you money and don't want to pay you, the small claims process doesn't change anything. They need the constant pestering of the collection agency people.

I heard later, I could hire a baliff to enforce the judgement, but ultimately it would have been better to go with the collection agency in the first place.