VA Transportation / Terra Nova

broker

It was a voicemail, but If he calls again I most certainly will. Also, don't I need to be notified/contacted by their bankruptcy trustee/lawyer? I have no issues paying it but I want to make sure it is going to the correct party and that someone isn't going to come after me after the fact saying they didn't get paid (ie. 3rd parties/drivers). Any advice?

klogan367

I would have an issue paying them if they owed us money which we wasn't going to get. That happened to me once. I didn't refuse to pay but kept insisting that they provide documentation, invoices and pods for loads owed. It eventually went away and I didn't feel bad because they owed us a lot.

broker

If I pay an outstanding invoice I want a release letter or something stating that I am not legally responsible for any further payment/my obligation is fully met so no one else can come after me. They told me they won't do that, so how do I protect myself in the event that someone else from that company or their driver who did the job wants money? Do I just ignore them? If I don't get some sort of letter releasing me I don't want to pay.

klogan367

Trustees will squeeze money out wherever they can get it. It doesn't matter about the repercussions to other companies. Collect, liqudate and close. If it were me, I'd hold my position. Unresponsive and immovable. Most of the time, they will rail and threaten but bottom line is they collect as much as fast as they can, then dump cheaply any inventory and other stuff. Anything I've seen has been slash and trash. Even if they took you to court and got a court order, you'd then have the documention that you would require.

Casey

I did end up contacting the trustee and they advised that they wanted me to deal with Pierre Begin. In speaking with Pierre he was open to my request to get a discount to what I owed for the trouble I went through locating trailers and the what it cost me to expedite some shipments that were late. At the end of the day I saved about 5000.00, but that could never cover the stress of how close I came to losing a big client. I didn't want to do the court dance and I know that for all but two of the invoices, they service was provided and I owed them the money. "broker" if I were you I'd get a letter or email from the trustee telling you to deal directly to Pierre. You can also negotiate with them based on any delays problems you experienced. From what I saw I could have asked for much more of a discount. My check went payable to "Terra Nova Receivership EY" and was mailed to Ernst & Young.