Starting a Brokerage

loaders

Site Supporter
Whether you eventually want to be a freight broker, or continue on as a one man trucking operation, what you need is customers. People who want you to haul their freight, or arrange to have it hauled. If you have customers now and can’t service them with your own truck, perhaps you should concentrate on being strictly a freight broker. Sell your truck and trailer and set up a proper freight brokerage operation. If at a later date, you feel that you have the volume of business and mix of lanes to start up a trucking company again, go for it. Or most likely by that time, you will be more than happy to avoid the hassle and expense.

ONMARST

Whether you eventually want to be a freight broker, or continue on as a one man trucking operation, what you need is customers. People who want you to haul their freight, or arrange to have it hauled. If you have customers now and can’t service them with your own truck, perhaps you should concentrate on being strictly a freight broker. Sell your truck and trailer and set up a proper freight brokerage operation. If at a later date, you feel that you have the volume of business and mix of lanes to start up a trucking company again, go for it. Or most likely by that time, you will be more than happy to avoid the hassle and expense.
[/QUOTEthanks

ONMARST

I really appreciate your advise, as far as customer is concerned I have been working on it . I search customer then follow up. ima searching for shippers directory where i can select the target market .

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
I really appreciate your advise, as far as customer is concerned I have been working on it . I search customer then follow up. ima searching for shippers directory where i can select the target market .

Is there any anything that differentiates you from your competition other than your willingness to provide the same service to move the same goods for a lower price?

TransAction

From what I have seen over the years, most trucking co's start a brokerage side after they have grown the trucking side. It just makes sense that once they have the customers who are calling and saying "hey, we know you run Chicago and do a great job, can you give me a quote to New York?" to say sure, our brokerage division can certainly help you in that area! On top of this, they can use their already gained knowledge on the trucking side along with dealing with brokers to help them make the right business decisions.

I think it's very dangerous for someone who is new at one or the other to do both from the get go. Excel in one area first then add on to your service offerings. If you can't do that and think by offering everyone everything you'll be successful you are gravely mistaken. There's too many forces against you, you are stretching yourself out too thin and setting yourself for failure.

Last edited:

ONMARST

From what I have seen over the years, most trucking co's start a brokerage side after they have grown the trucking side. It just makes sense that once they have the customers who are calling and saying "hey, we know you run Chicago and do a great job, can you give me a quote to New York?" to say sure, our brokerage division can certainly help you in that area! On top of this, they can use their already gained knowledge on the trucking side along with dealing with brokers to help them make the right business decisions.

I think it's very dangerous for someone who is new at one or the other to do both from the get go. Excel in one area first then add on to your service offerings. If you can't do that and think by offering everyone everything you'll be successful you are gravely mistaken. There's too many forces against you, you are stretching yourself out too thin and setting yourself for failure.
your r absolutely right sir, right now focusing carrier but having real good challenges for the last one year.
as far as services is concerned I provided expedite service with lower cost to build up long term relationship and i got success from one of broker and still they regards for that kind of services..

SCAM CHASER

Site Supporter
BMC84 coming up for a renew, looking for quotes. Can anyone suggest good companies or contacts?
Guarantee Insurance of North America
Pacific Financial
appear to be major players. Pacific is the only one I know of that does not require a personal guarantee.
If you know the names of 10 major freight brokers, you can also go on the FMCSA website, enter the broker's name, and see who holds the BMC84.

https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/ go to "carrier" search, enter broker's name and province, etc.

Ruler

I meant most un experienced brokers

there are alot been doing for many years but seems like all the new comers don't seem to last long