Aberstar not paying their bills

Trotter

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a lawyer to help me collect. Its not much (950) but I would like to learn the process and would not prefer to go at it alone my first time. Thank you in advance.

loaders

Site Supporter
A para legal can assist you at a much lower cost than a lawyer. A small amount like $950.00 might not be worth the trouble regardless of who you use. Start off by having a paralegal help you draft a demand letter. In the event you do decide to pursue the matter in the courts, you will need this.

Counter$

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a lawyer to help me collect. Its not much (950) but I would like to learn the process and would not prefer to go at it alone my first time. Thank you in advance.

hi Trotter, not worth your time. But you can always try to be friendly with their shipper.
:) good luck

jonny-chicken

Site Supporter

Hey Trotter,

If you have some time and want to learn, the best way is by doing... Our small claims system in Ontario (if that's where you are) is very easy to navigate, you can even file a claim online without stepping foot in a courthouse. It's about $100 to get started and often that's all you need, as many companies will pay once they and their customers are served with court papers.

I just used this to collect $2800 that was owed to me by Dutchman Transportation. The guy closed his office and started running out of a house and was clearly not going to pay. I filed a claim online and served him at home and his two customers at their places of business.

I received my payment by courier about 6 weeks later, just a couple weeks before the court had scheduled a settlement conference.

$950 is not much and if you employ anyone else like a collection agent or paralegal, you will lose much of that to service fees. You don't have much to lose, it's a good time to learn the system for later when you might really need it.

If you need any more specific advice or help navigating the system, send me a PM and I'll help you anyway I can.

Good luck sir!

Trotter

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went ahead and filled paperwork in Brampton court for both Aberstar and the shipper and served them both myself. Next day I got an email from the shipper that they will pay the invoice. While I feel bad for the shipper, it was only 950.00 and hopefully they also learned a valuable lesson about which brokers they use.

TransAction

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went ahead and filled paperwork in Brampton court for both Aberstar and the shipper and served them both myself. Next day I got an email from the shipper that they will pay the invoice. While I feel bad for the shipper, it was only 950.00 and hopefully they also learned a valuable lesson about which brokers they use.
It's funny how just serving someone gets their attention. We ourselves have never had to take anyone to court, just have served the intention to do so and have always had good results. Congrats!

Freight Broker

Seems unfair that the shipper paid twice..after all you and he both made the same mistake with regards to using that broker. Hopefully you too learned a valuable lesson about which brokers to use..

Freight Broker

It's funny how just serving someone gets their attention. We ourselves have never had to take anyone to court, just have served the intention to do so and have always had good results. Congrats!

Even cheaper than serving.. get a form letter from a lawyer that you can "adjust" somewhat with correct names and information. A letter from a lawyer does wonders .. lots of big words no one understands and a threatening tone..

WALTERK

This is another example that if you don't do your due diligence and check whom you extend your credit to, you might get burned. There is enough on Aberstar on this website itself to stay clear off them....

bubba-one

Site Supporter
Don't feel bad for the shipper to pay twice, they have recourse with the broker and can take them to court to recover any double payment, and I believe it then becomes fraud on the brokers part.

Freight Broker

Carrier can take the broker to court as well. Why victimize the shipper who really did nothing wrong either? Both the carrier and the shipper engaged that broker for services.. carrier is in the business and perhaps should have checked the broker out more closely. And besides the carrier had a much better and more profitable course of action... go into the shipper and offer your services direct.. i.e." look, I understand there's been a problem with that broker.. I'm not asking you to make me whole even though the law allows me to, but instead I'd like to service your account directly".. shipper will likely appreciate the gesture and bingo you've not only got a load.. you've got a new revenue stream that could last you 10 or 20 years. Sure, follow up on what the law allows.. you'll get paid by the shipper, but in return they won't like you anymore than the broker they had hired initially. So which is better.. a one time $2500.00 payment?... or... $2500.00 a week for the next 20 years? You decide..

NotForHire

Carrier can take the broker to court as well. Why victimize the shipper who really did nothing wrong either? Both the carrier and the shipper engaged that broker for services.. carrier is in the business and perhaps should have checked the broker out more closely. And besides the carrier had a much better and more profitable course of action... go into the shipper and offer your services direct.. i.e." look, I understand there's been a problem with that broker.. I'm not asking you to make me whole even though the law allows me to, but instead I'd like to service your account directly".. shipper will likely appreciate the gesture and bingo you've not only got a load.. you've got a new revenue stream that could last you 10 or 20 years. Sure, follow up on what the law allows.. you'll get paid by the shipper, but in return they won't like you anymore than the broker they had hired initially. So which is better.. a one time $2500.00 payment?... or... $2500.00 a week for the next 20 years? You decide..
2500.00 a week for 10 or 20 years !

Nawk

I have a hard time believing that a shipper doesn't know that he/she is dealing with a carrier that is 'sketchy'.

As a business... you have a responsibility to know who your partners are... and who you choose to business with.

If you choose to work and play with a snake... you can't be mad when you get bit.

In this case the shipper chose to do business with a carrier / transportation provider that somewhat unsavory... hopefully they've learned a lesson and that lesson comes at a cost to them.

NotForHire

I have a hard time believing that a shipper doesn't know that he/she is dealing with a carrier that is 'sketchy'.

As a business... you have a responsibility to know who your partners are... and who you choose to business with.

If you choose to work and play with a snake... you can't be mad when you get bit.

In this case the shipper chose to do business with a carrier / transportation provider that somewhat unsavory... hopefully they've learned a lesson and that lesson comes at a cost to them.
IF YOU PLAY WITH FIRE, PLEASE DONT COMPLAIN WHEN YOU GET BURNT!

Freight Broker

Yeah yeah.. just saying the same goes double for the carrier as they're "in the trade".. If I make widgets and that's my specialty and I inadvertently hire a sketchy broker and that sketchy broker partners with a decent carrier then who's more culpable? The carrier is "in the biz".. they would certainly be more inclined to know to stay clear of that broker than Mr Widgets would be. We freight people who've been in this racket for awhile know who the bad players are more or less. Mr Widgets is less likely to know.. Once again, carrier has a great opportunity.. a shipper in distress and a waving a big flag that says HELP ME HELP ME.. so get paid ONCE by revictiming him (which the law clearly allows but which is shortsighted).. or.. get paid weekly for the next 20 years to the tune of a quarter of a million dollars if its a small shipper.. choice seems obvious to me.

Been there done that by the way.. had a customer in 2002 who would never ever again hire a broker (over his prostate dead corpse (his words). I asked him why.. he stated the guy he was using had stuck him for a claim.. 3000 bucks.. broker told him to go to the carrier.. carrier told him to go to the broker.. I called (good timing for once) and told him I'd pay the claim provided he give me a 3 month trail to allow me an opportunity to recover the cost. We went ahead with it .. that was almost 18 years ago.. or more accurately 350K in my wallet ago.. carrier and broker I replaced were both fucktards who lost out on a golden opportunity that kicked them in the balls.. Thank you I guess.. I paid the claim and the shipper paid off my house.

Last edited: