Wait Time Before Crossing

Luke905

I'm getting some mixed information especially when entering Canada via ACI manifest.

I'm being told that you must wait 1 hour after receiving your entry number before proceeding to the Canadian border or you maybe fined.

Does anyone have any further insight/references on this?

Rob

Site Supporter
As soon as we get the number we cross if the driver has been waiting and never had an issue.

bubba-one

Site Supporter
According to Canada Customs you must give 1 hour from the time you submit your ACI until you cross the bridge. We were doing some loads to Buffalo and bring the guys back empty without giving enough notice when we got reprimanded by Canada Customs. Said fines would be issued if we continued to arrive without the 1 hr notice. Personally why should a Canadian have to give notice to enter his/her own country especially with an empty truck

Jim L

I'm getting some mixed information especially when entering Canada via ACI manifest.

I'm being told that you must wait 1 hour after receiving your entry number before proceeding to the Canadian border or you maybe fined.

Does anyone have any further insight/references on this?
The requirement is that the driver cannot cross until 1 hour after the ACI manifest is accepted by CBSA. The transaction number from the broker does not require 1 hour waiting. When we have drivers in this position they sit at duty free until the broker is done and then we send them over without issues.
More details can be found here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d3/d3-4-2-eng.html

In the case of empty trucks/trailers, you do not require an ACI manifest if you are CSA approved. If you are not CSA approved, and you know ahead of time that you will be empty on return, you can send the ACI long before the driver arrives at Canada Customs. We do this sometimes and send the ACI before the driver leaves the yard so he has the ACI manifest.

TNS_Jess

You must wait 1 hour after the Electronic ACI is in "ACCEPTED" status by CBSA.
The one hour time period allows CBSA's computer system to update with your information.
If you do not wait the 1 hour, you risk being fined or sent back into the USA.

Luke905

Does the 1 hour rule also apply when entering the US or once you have your entry number you can enter?

TNS_Jess

Does the 1 hour rule also apply when entering the US or once you have your entry number you can enter?

Once the ACE is electronically entered. there is a 1 hour grace period as well
Regardless if you have an entry#. within 15 minutes of entering your ACE electronically
there is still a grace period