Driver Approvals

TRKINSURE

This post is for those in the group that have the unfortunate task of having to approve drivers. Please read below.....

Note for drivers - every single one of you, should be taking a photo of the pink slip on your first day. Note the expiration date and make sure you also take a photo on each renewal. If/when you leave the employer, it'll be much easier to find a new carrier if you know the prior insurers you were listed as a driver upon.

Methods to track information
  • Have driver ask for prior employer for policy # / insurer (easiest method). Or they can find their pink slip in the cab of their current employer and either;
  • A)contact the broker and ask them to provide a letter of experience or
  • B)call/email the insurer directly to produce a letter.

• Other Method includes:
  • Find US DOT # or MC #
  • If past operation was cross border go to; www.safersys.org/CompanySnapshot.aspx and try to locate the BMC-91X filings. many insurers use 3rd party company’s to do their filings – attached is a list of potential insurers, given the filing company
Once you’ve located the employer on the safersys website;

step1.png

Complete “Capcha” to ensure you’re not a robot – hit “Submit”.

step2.png
step3.png

Click on either 2 links, depending on whether you’re looking for an “active” insurer (current insurer) or a prior insurer. These pages are all linked together so after you click on either bottom link, you can still reach the other link with 1 single click.

Now the company that appears as the “Insurance Carrier” is not always the ‘carrier’ per se. “Filing Companies” do the actual work of the insurers, depending on who the insurer is. Here is an almost exhaustive list of insurers.

Filing CompanyInsurance Company
ST. PAUL FIRE & MARINE INSURANCE CO.Travelers Insurance
ROYAL & SUN ALLIANCERoyal & Sun Alliance (also Facility)
STATE NATIONALLynx or Aviva
CHEROKEE INSURANCECherokee Insurance
ARCH INSURANCEARCH CANADA
ACE AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANYChubb/ACE INA
NATIONAL INTERSTATE INSURANCE COMPANYIntact/The Guarantee/Economical/Echelon (also Facility)
OLD REPUBLIC INSURANCE CO.Old Republic Company of Canada
NORTHBRIDGE COMMERCIAL INSURANCE CORPORATIONNorthbridge Insurance
ATLANTIC SPECIALTY INSURANCE COMPANYAviva Canada unless POL# starts with "7L" (Intact) or "CFA" (Facility)
JEVCO INSURANCE COMPANYIntact (old Jevco)
ACE AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANYACE/INA
CONTINENTAL CASUALTY CO.C.N.A.
ONEBEACON INSURANCE COMPANYEconomical
ZURICH AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANYZurich
AIG INSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADAAIG

I won't inundate the underwriters by providing a list of contact #'s, but if you're stuck on one please PM me and I can provide.

Also - please note - any carrier whose policy # starts with "RIC" or "RFC" (Royal & Sun Alliance) or "CFA" (Atlantic Specialty), is most certainly in Facility Association for their insurance. Tread with caution.

fedup

Speaking only on my experience with our company insurance broker; because the policy is not in the driver's name our insurance company will only provide a LOE when requested from our office and not directly to the driver - for what it's worth!!

TRKINSURE

Speaking only on my experience with our company insurance broker; because the policy is not in the driver's name our insurance company will only provide a LOE when requested from our office and not directly to the driver - for what it's worth!!
That depends on the insurer who will sometimes only send the letter back to the specific driver. But all other insurers will comply and send the letter back to the requesting broker.