WSIB classification changes for freight brokers

loaders

Site Supporter
The NTBA is hosting their Annual General Meeting on April 26. The guest speaker is a VP from WSIB who will be speaking about the possible changes to freight brokers classification. This is a very important topic that should be of interest to all Ontario based freight brokerage firms, as it could result in a substantial hit to your bottom line. Please go to the NTBA website www.ntba-brokers.com for further info.

loaders

Site Supporter
Although the focus of this meeting is possible changes to WSIB classifications, joining the association is a good idea, even if you are located outside of Ontario. There are topics that the NTBA takes on that are of great value, regardless of where you are domiciled. Regulators pay more attention when an industry can speak with a unified voice, as opposed to individual businesses.

Cstewart

The NTBA is hosting their Annual General Meeting on April 26. The guest speaker is a VP from WSIB who will be speaking about the possible changes to freight brokers classification. This is a very important topic that should be of interest to all Ontario based freight brokerage firms, as it could result in a substantial hit to your bottom line. Please go to the NTBA website www.ntba-brokers.com for further info.
Good Morning, can you explain to me as a "logistics division" of our parent company, operating separately, would we have WSIB? We are only a year old, so not sure if this was set up at our corporate office.

Cstewart

Good Morning, can you explain to me as a "logistics division" of our parent company, operating separately, would we have WSIB? We are only a year old, so not sure if this was set up at our corporate office.
I learned that we are actually still under our Express division and covered, for now. thanks for the info

loaders

Site Supporter
There are provisions under the current classification, that addresses companies that operate a "logistics division" and a separate or associated trucking and/or warehousing division. Obviously, if you have an employee that works exclusively in the "logistics division", it would be financially advantageous to have them included in the freight brokerage classification, as opposed to the much more expensive general trucking or warehousing.

frtbrkr

Although the focus of this meeting is possible changes to WSIB classifications, joining the association is a good idea, even if you are located outside of Ontario. There are topics that the NTBA takes on that are of great value, regardless of where you are domiciled. Regulators pay more attention when an industry can speak with a unified voice, as opposed to individual businesses.

We are a a member of this organization, and we attended one meeting. however, i do not got any e-mails of any new events, it's sad that i found out of this years event on this site.

It also cost us travel to GTA, so it has to be worthwhile. not sure it pays off going if the topics will be Ontario based

Henry

i recently delivered a full load of carpet from Georgia to Mississauga for another carrier. She is now requesting a WSIB Clearance from us. Do i have to provide a clearance and if i do, why?

Henry

So this is Normal?

I have not been asked for this document in the past. I did not understand how this could effect them.

Freight Broker

Its normal.. if the WSIB ever audited them and they couldn't come up with a clearance certificate for you they'd be heavily fined.

loaders

Site Supporter
It is the same if you as a home owner, hire a roofer or some other contractor to perform work at your residence. It is in your best interest to ensure that their employees are covered by WSIB. If not, you do expose yourself (or your insurers) to possible litigation if someone gets injured on your property.

If there are any freight brokers who have not registered for this meeting, you are missing out on some very important information. WSIB tried a few years ago to classify our industry in the same group as carriers. Fortunately, after months of intensive lobbying, the NTBA was able to get them to reconsider and it resulted in the rate we pay today. There are strong indications that they are trying to increase our rate again, during their "re-evaluation" process for all industries in Ontario. If we as an association, can speak with one voice, we can possibly get them to reconsider. Chances of that happening after they implement a change are slim and extremely difficult to do. I can't speak for the other brokers in Ontario, but I do not want to pay 10 times more in WSIB coverage for my employees.

Rob

Site Supporter
Just a question but what is the going rate for Logistics companies? I know trucking companies are high but I just wondered where an all office staff like a brokerage would be.

loaders

Site Supporter
I am sure someone on this site can give you that info Rob. I would do it, but presently I am out of the office, baking in 34 degree C sunshine in Phoenix.

MikeJr

Staff member
And if your staff are drivers - $6.72 per $100, no?
Pretty big jump I'd say.

Keep well,
Mike