Wait times/ Layovers

horseman

What is it lately brokers not paying wait times or layovers
Drivers need to get paid for waiting or layover.. It is costing loads which costs us all money

MikeJr

Staff member
I hope you are not saying 'all brokers never pay either of these', because we sure do. Do you have a specific situation or specific beef with a single party? Perhaps best to elaborate. You're right, driver time is not free, neither are trucks, or fuel, or insurance, or maintenance, etc...

Keep well,
Mike

LOADED MILES

The new thing is work in.. no pay for sitting because your late , snow, traffic , highway issues but sory your 30 min late your now a “work in” Drivers are fed up with the industry as a whole. There waiting time is always “negotiated “ not many jobs make you beg and fight for your pay . It just is paid.

Eg How would you handle a Plummer that comes to your house to fix your leaking toilet . Do you get a price b4 he shows up ? Usually an estimate . when he tells your the price do you negotiate a better price or accept that his price is acceptable for what he did. Does the plumber give his first 2 hours free. He has a van some tools and some skilled trades making 90 per hour maybe more
Drivers have a truck a trailer and a skill buy never properly paid

Drivers are going to become plumber home every night by 5pm and get paid for all their work

WALTERK

I sympathize with your frustration on the subject of negotiating a fair rate. But, I believe you forget that the economics of supply and demand play a huge role on how carriers are being compansated. The responsible ones pay their drivers a fair rate. What is sad is that the good drivers and carriers leave the industry for better opportunities. There is no immediate fix for it, but often carriers are their own worst enemy. Add tones of equipment without securing adequate customer base and then cut each other’s throats on Loadlink - You can’t fix stupid....!

Last edited:

MikeJr

Staff member
Loaded Miles - Consider who you are pointing the finger at here. Select shippers (we all know who they are) decided years ago that they would instruct delivering carriers that they had appointments for delivery and should they arrive late, they would be a work in. Brokers did not decide this and it's not in any way a new thing. It's not like we (brokers) are collecting waiting time and refusing to pay it out.

I can't think of anyone that we have delivered to recently that still holds this policy, most especially after ELDs and even more so for LTL. Is this craziness still being enforced? Why do carriers still take freight that delivers to these facilities? We share in your frustration, making a driver wait 4+ hours for a 1 skid delivery because he/she was 3 minutes late for an appointment just isn't logical.

I had an interesting encounter this week, there's always a first time for everything I suppose. We had a bunch of carriers tell us our freight in transit was delayed due to weather (LTL and TL) this week, ok normal enough. We thanked the carriers for parking their fleets (in the name of safety) and advised them to let us know when they could deliver and that we would update all the importers/exporters and consignees for them of the delayed deliveries. This all sounds like a regular stormy week. Then, there was a brave driver who drove through an ice storm into central IL. Driver gets to the delivery location and of course they are closed, just like every other business in a 200+ mile radius (we called a lot of warehouse and crossdock facilities). Are fees due in order to compensate the driver for waiting until the next day to be offloaded? If so, who is accountable for those fees?

Happy Friday!
Mike

MikeJr

Staff member
Exactly, like I said, we all know who 'they' are. We can inflate our base rate, ensure trucks arrive on time or not service them. But to service them then complain after about what you know will happen doesn't make a lot of sense.

Keep well,
Mike

ferrari

Currently Walmart has over a hundred trailers waiting to be offloaded in their yard. They need to go over each skid and product with sanitizer while offloading. What a nightmare for them and all.

Ruler

I just figured it out
all receivers must think we work for free as no one paying waiting times right now

wait till more loads than trucks and lets see attitudes then

WALTERK

The receivers/shippers don't care. The only protection you have is to explicitly state your rate of compensation for waiting time on the confirmation. Or, let it go if not accepted.....

Freight Broker

That's why they're so unsuccessful. Nobody shops there because low prices are based on third world wages and getting product into the store at rock bottom rates. Its a model that obviously doesn't work. Has anyone here ever shopped there? Of course not! Personally I will gladly pay $300.00 for a pair of jeans, knowing that they were made here.. yes siree..

wesward

Seems like if you make sure to book well ahead for off loading then if they are ready should be minimal waiting time. But make sure you document it all ( seems to help when billing)

Ruler

Was just told by broker that i need to let them know in advance about waiting time and delay in off loading to get extra dough. How is this possible?
No one knows what the waiting time will be till load is complete.
How do we get around this or work it out

Shakey

Site Supporter
@Ruler if your truck was there for hours and you didn't advise until next day that could be issue for broker to get anything from client as they didn't have opportunity to mitigate the charge with getting truck empty. Typically brokers require to be advised before the grace time ends that is included in rate(1-2 hours FTL, 30 min LTL) so they can inform client there is issue and they will be charged.

wesward

SO true but sometimes halfway through (oddly enough) seems to be lunch/ break/ shift change and waiting times can't be set up prior
Union issues and brokers don't care

marylou

SO true but sometimes halfway through (oddly enough) seems to be lunch/ break/ shift change and waiting times can't be set up prior
Union issues and brokers don't care
Maybe some brokers don't care but please don't lump ALL brokers together. I paid a carrier 1hr 45 mins of waiting time this morning .... and my customer was also fine with it since i advised him when we started working together 2 hr free FTL, LTL 1 hr.