W9 Form-Canadian Broker

PackRat

Site Supporter
the short answer is yes....most (not all) most US companies require the W9 to be on file before they will cut you a cheque.

bigt

W-9 or w-8

I know if we haul load for us base freight broker or customer, we need W-8 form. but, if canadian based freight broker or customer use us based carrier, which form do they need? if they do need?
Just curious.

W8-BEN for CDN carriers, I believe you have no obligation to get a W9 from US carriers.

Let me rephrase that...I never have.
If its a US 'customer', then an educated guess is no, because you are an expense to them, not income.

I have no verifiable proof of this, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite!

Pharlap

Hello,

We are a, service provider. With corporate office based in USA. Our CDN branch.
Requires all qualified carriers - Part of our packet. For a, W9 or W8....
It's really the same thing. 9 dig-get #. Just different taxation system.
Alot of our, connecting CDN Carriers only have a, W8. And it works fine within our, system.
Hope this info, helps!
All the best!

SCAM CHASER

Site Supporter
Hello,

We are a, service provider. With corporate office based in USA. Our CDN branch.
Requires all qualified carriers - Part of our packet. For a, W9 or W8....
It's really the same thing. 9 dig-get #. Just different taxation system.
Alot of our, connecting CDN Carriers only have a, W8. And it works fine within our, system.
Hope this info, helps!
All the best!

The liability for securing a W-8 or W-9 rests with the purchaser of the transportation service based in the USA. The IRS, if and when doing an audit of the purchaser's payables, can then trace the legitimacy of the company receiving the payment, through the carrier's Tax ID #.

In the case of US non-residents (company or individual), either a W-9 or a W-8BEN can be supplied; however, you will need to contact the IRS for a tax ID # IF YOU ARE SUPPLYING THE PURCHASER WITH A W-9.
A W-8BEN does not require registering for a TAX ID #. I believe there is a space on the W-8BEN to insert your Canadian BN number though.

Has anyone had an experience with setting up a w-8.

do you then have to file taxes with the IRS annually for the portion of billing you do to US customers ?

We have just started working with a US company and have not had to deal with this.

Any help would be appreciated.

loaders

Site Supporter
As long as you are a Canadian based business, you do not have to file US tax returns. You complete the W-8 form, indicating your foreign status, and as Scam Chaser mentioned, insert your Business Number (GST/HST number) in the box provided. Your US customer then has the documentation to show that the cheques it issues to you are legitimate and traceable. As long as you have no US offices, employees, or are in any other way registered as a US operation, there is no requirement for you to file with the IRS. We have been dealing with US customers for years and have completed hundreds of W-8 forms. It is nothing to worry about.

Interesting read
State Income Taxes on Canadian Companies Doing Business in US in State of Flux
pertinent paragraph:
Storing inventory; renting office or warehouse space; providing installation, implementation, warranty or repair services; even delivering goods in trucks owned by the Canadian company – any of these may constitute nexus in certain states. The level of activity that constitutes nexus in a state is generally less than the activity needed to constitute a federal PE.

Twopoints

Site Supporter
Do I need to file/register a w8Ben with the IRS or is there a generic form I can fill out and just supply my US customers when they ask ?

loaders

Site Supporter
You are NOT filing the W-8 with the IRS, you are completing it for your customer at their request. THEY keep it on file and THEY have it available in the event THEY get audited.