Video showing semi passing in construction zone on Alberta’s Highway 9 sparks concern

loaders

Site Supporter
There are more than enough bad drivers of cars and small trucks already on our roads. If you are entrusted with navigating large commercial vehicles on public highways, and get paid for doing it, pulling a stunt like this Bison O/O, is completely unacceptable. I find no fault whatsoever in the recording of his actions by the other vehicle, nor with the reporting of it by the news agency. Bad behaviour in our industry should always be called out and not ignored or blindly apologized for. Come on, shouldn’t we all be focused on improving the public image of our industry as opposed to constantly making lame excuses when one of our own screws up?

loaders

Site Supporter
I thought the news article had Bison management referring to him/her as an “independent contractor”. Either way, not a smart manoeuvre for a professional operator.

coffeegurl

Considering this same area had TWO fatalities in the last few weeks, totally unacceptable! Regardless on the name on the door, driver error is evident. As was the case I believe in the other two. We all need to pay attention to this. Pet peeve of mine is the idiots in these construction zones who think signs don't apply to them!

Shakey

Site Supporter
@loaders sorry I should have been more concise, I was posting regarding the story not your post. I could be wrong but looks like company truck unless it's driver inc....................

MikeJr

Staff member
I was sitting in a meeting with Paul from Thompson Emergency yesterday. One of the items that came up in the meeting was that we had awarded them 2 dedicated loads a week. He mentioned to me that when he saw that the first of these dedicated loads was being put under one specific driver, and he knows this driver well he was extremely happy. I asked him to clarify and the answer was simple: She conducts herself behind the wheel, in front of shippers and consignees as a true professional. She takes her job very seriously and knows she is an embassador of the company (both Thompson and in this case the broker that contracted her employer).

Hats off to ALL professional drivers, thank you from all of us in the industry.

This video above in my opinion is inconclusive. We don't know what the people in the car were doing for sure before this transpired. What if they slowed down to let the truck pass, then sped up as the truck was passing? I've seen plenty of asshole car drivers, usually when I'm on the bike without safety features such as a seatbelt, airbag or roof.

Happy Friday!
Mike

loaders

Site Supporter
As you rightly point out MikeJr, our industry is blessed with thousands of hard working, conscientious employees who go about their duties with professionalism, and take great pride in what they do. That is why I find it so disappointing that in the eyes of the general public, the actions of one, can besmirch the fine reputations of so many others. You are correct as well, that none of us were there to personally witness what transpired leading up to the start of the video. I am split between what troubles me more in these situations, the obvious poor decision making of the truck driver in the video, the quick to convict attitude of the media, or those in our industry that automatically dismiss any accusations of wrong doing on the part of the driver and look to blame others for the situation. A quick review of the posts on IT immediately following the tragic Humboldt Sk accident is evidence of this. “Couldn’t be the drivers fault”, etc, etc. Unfortunately, sometimes it is and we should all be working towards a safer industry.

Nawk

I was sitting in a meeting with Paul from Thompson Emergency yesterday. One of the items that came up in the meeting was that we had awarded them 2 dedicated loads a week. He mentioned to me that when he saw that the first of these dedicated loads was being put under one specific driver, and he knows this driver well he was extremely happy. I asked him to clarify and the answer was simple: She conducts herself behind the wheel, in front of shippers and consignees as a true professional. She takes her job very seriously and knows she is an embassador of the company (both Thompson and in this case the broker that contracted her employer).

Hats off to ALL professional drivers, thank you from all of us in the industry.

This video above in my opinion is inconclusive. We don't know what the people in the car were doing for sure before this transpired. What if they slowed down to let the truck pass, then sped up as the truck was passing? I've seen plenty of asshole car drivers, usually when I'm on the bike without safety features such as a seatbelt, airbag or roof.

Happy Friday!
Mike
Paul is a good guy isn't he?
He stops in here regularly as well.
They do have great drivers and they do good work.