TRANSPONDER COST TO DOUBLE ON DEC 28TH

martinetav

Just wanted to mention here that the cost to renew transponders will almost double as of December 28th this year. As of now the annual renewal is $205 usd. On December 28 this will be going up to $401.67 USD. For you freightbrokers out there who don't know what this is, it's another cost that we have in order to cross the border. Each truck that crosses the border must have one. This amount is per truck and there is no volume discount on this one...
I have copied this from the DTOPS sight:

The current $205 annual User Fee paid when ordering a commercial vehicle transponder is comprised of two fees, $100 that is retained by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and $105 that CBP collects on behalf of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to recapture costs associated with conducting agricultural quarantine inspections (AQI) at U.S. ports of entry. On December 28, 2015, the APHIS portion of the annual User Fee will increase to $301.67. The total annual User Fee will be $401.67 per commercial vehicle.

martinetav

I know what you mean PackRat. Had to haggle with the IRS over the annual HUT renewals. We sent it in well within time but, in October we received a late notice and they were asking for late charges. Not a lot but, as usual, it's the principle. We were not late. We sent it in in plenty of time. It took them until Sept. 9 to look at it. For this reason we were charged for being late... The hard part of that one was finding a phone number that works from Canada. Took 2.5 days but... found it. And got the refund :cool:

Salma

We also had a late charge last year for our HUT renewal too. They refunded it but still...........

As far as the transponders are concerned, I did not know the fee was increasing at the end of the year. We just did the renewals so we dodged that bullet until next year. Don't even get me started on the IFTA increases! Money grabs all around!

chica123

Site Supporter
Just to further Martinetav's information...I logged on today and ended up having to call support due to a password problem. The automated message on the DTOPS line says renewals must be processed by December 24, 2015 in order to received the current price. Please people, don't wait until the 28 to renew and find out you have to pay the higher fee. I'm not sure why the website says the 28th, and the tech support line says the 24th, but I wouldn't take a chance. :)

Jennifer R

Thanks so much everyone, I will renew today, let you know how I make out. Also Martinetav, we had the same bullshit with the IRS, we also didn't have to pay the late charge but I just recently had to request our stamped copy of our renewal as we never were sent one...........

martinetav

Just to further Martinetav's information...I logged on today and ended up having to call support due to a password problem. The automated message on the DTOPS line says renewals must be processed by December 24, 2015 in order to received the current price. Please people, don't wait until the 28 to renew and find out you have to pay the higher fee. I'm not sure why the website says the 28th, and the tech support line says the 24th, but I wouldn't take a chance. :)
Probably because the 28th is the first working day after the holidays. The notice did say 'starting' on December 28th

martinetav

Thanks so much everyone, I will renew today, let you know how I make out. Also Martinetav, we had the same bullshit with the IRS, we also didn't have to pay the late charge but I just recently had to request our stamped copy of our renewal as we never were sent one...........
Last year they sent us back all but one. Tried to get a copy only to be told that I must not have sent 2 copies for that truck (some of our guys are O/Os), Didn't bother arguing with them because we all know that the IRS is always right. I handled it myself ...

chica123

Site Supporter
Yes, Martinetav, isn't the date coming up quickly upon us? I assumed that if you renewed online over the Christmas weekend, you would be given the lower price, but the phone message led me to believe otherwise. Merry Christmas!

Jennifer R

I just applied for 13 trucks, The D-tops system had my information on the most recent new trucks (5) but I had to manually enter all the others. It went through at $205 a piece, but then they send me something that one of my vehicles has been transferred from account. So I sent them order# so they could see I have just paid for 8 trucks and that particular truck was in the order. geez ... its either hard to get good help these days or I am just getting too old and cynical.............

rickwill

I sent mine in way early ( Before the Aug 1 Deadline ) but forgot to sign check. They sent it back without the stamped HUT copy. I called again in Dec only to be told they had the bank draft BUT hadn't processed it yet. STILL NO COPY

martinetav

ahh yes, sorry confusing the dtops with the federal HUT tax. I've caught a very bad man cold and it has mutated and is causing me to have very diminished metal capacity right now;) it would seem that others are making the same mistake.

chica123

Site Supporter
Does anyone know what the cost for a one time crossing has been raised to...ie: a truck that has no transpoder
thanks!

bigt

Does anybody else have this issue?
Last year we renew out D-Tops border decals and paid before increased price. We cross Pacific Hwy and there are couple of officers tell drivers that we did not paid increased price and they charge them $13.50 for each crossing, on the top of already paid $205.00 for whole year.