The Conditions of Trucks

Maggs

Im asking for some help here or advice: How would you handle communicating to a customer how un-safe their carriers equipment is when it arrives at our warehouse. Please keep in mind that this is not freight that we handle. However, my concern is safety. I have witnessed trucks that the hoods are held down with duck tape, fenders being held by bungie cords, tires that have no tread, stepping stairs that are missing and the driver jumps into his seat....so much more. Or would you simply let it be?

MikeJr

Staff member
Im asking for some help here or advice: How would you handle communicating to a customer how un-safe their carriers equipment is when it arrives at our warehouse. Please keep in mind that this is not freight that we handle. However, my concern is safety. I have witnessed trucks that the hoods are held down with duck tape, fenders being held by bungie cords, tires that have no tread, stepping stairs that are missing and the driver jumps into his seat....so much more. Or would you simply let it be?

Don't tell the customer. Tell the MTO...

How would you feel if that hood flew off on the highway and killed someone (more importantly someone you know and love) sometime in the future but you can prevent it right now with a phone call?

Call the MTO as soon as possible, they'll take care of it (I hope).

Keep well,

Mike

alx2

Condition of trucks

That is a very interesting thought!

I would look into what your exposure to liability is? Can this co relate to the responsibility a barman has in cutting off a customer before he does harm to himself or others?

Not accounting for local cartage ( drivers know how to avoid inspection stations that are static)

From my own experience, the state of equipment is relative to what area the carrier services. The closer the carrier goes to Greater New York City, the more damaged the equipment will be.

A carrier running the Mid West will have to look for things to hit.

jsprat

Unfortunately this is a common dilemma. Here is how I rationalize this in my mind; my wife and my son both share the highway with trucks.

The MTO complaints number is a preset in my phone. (905) 564-9190.
The MTO works for us.

J

rickwill

Cheap freight relates to junk equipment, pay what a truck needs to operate and a reasonable profit, then the equipment reflects

MikeJr

Staff member
Does that $25 even cover the truck and fuel?

Is that driver independantly wealthy and working for free?

Happy Friday,

Mike

klodashow

Unfortunately, nothing...

Nowadays, customers are not looking for service, but a price (as cheap as possible).

Last edited by a moderator: