Tanker endorsement on a CDL

tasuinam

at the risk of sounding ignorant - I thought I would ask....I looked online - but don't know - how does a Canadian driver get tanker endorsement - Winnipeg based but MPI has no such thing on their website.
Is this a US thing? And what do you do if asked for it?
Thanks -

Jim L

I was just about to post the same thing.....beat me to it. Good job!

One thing to add, if you are hauling HazMat in the US your driver is required to have a TWIC card. That is the only way to qualify for this.

Last edited:

tasuinam

I was just about to post the same thing.....beat me to it. Good job!

One thing to add, if you are hauling HazMat in the US your driver is required to have a TWIC card. That is the only way to qualify for this.
This was not a HazMat load - we are not lic for that...the broker said my driver needed to have tanker endorsement and I told him we are a Canadian carrier and there is no such thing he seemed confused. It was a dry van load...so am super confused and it paid really well according to what was posted

Shakey

Site Supporter
This was not a HazMat load - we are not lic for that...the broker said my driver needed to have tanker endorsement and I told him we are a Canadian carrier and there is no such thing he seemed confused. It was a dry van load...so am super confused and it paid really well according to what was posted
must have been a liquid loaded in totes

Eye-on-U

at the risk of sounding ignorant - I thought I would ask....I looked online - but don't know - how does a Canadian driver get tanker endorsement - Winnipeg based but MPI has no such thing on their website.
Is this a US thing? And what do you do if asked for it?
Thanks -
Canada drivers dont need to have tanker endorsement. If it is a hazmat load,he needs FAST card that is it,if moving from US to CAD.Americans put that on their load requirements, but has no impact on Canadian drivers.

tasuinam

Canada drivers dont need to have tanker endorsement. If it is a hazmat load,he needs FAST card that is it,if moving from US to CAD.Americans put that on their load requirements, but has no impact on Canadian drivers.
Good to know - but we didn't get the load as he wanted the endorsement and it was not a HazMAt load... how do you make someone understand that.....

Eye-on-U

Was it an American broker or client? They just dont understand. Next time copy this and send it to him.

In 1988, however, Canada and the US signed a reciprocity agreement that acknowledges the fact that the testing and issuance of commercial driver’s licences in each respective country is similar. It was also agreed that drivers are prohibited from obtaining licences in each other’s country. Section 383.23 of the US Code of Federal Regulation [1] Specifies that Canadian drivers do not need a tank endorsement due to this existing reciprocity agreement.

Rob

Site Supporter
Good to know - but we didn't get the load as he wanted the endorsement and it was not a HazMAt load... how do you make someone understand that.....

Must of been an American broker. They know what they know and there is no teaching or explaining anything to alot of them. Been through it before. I just tell them yep ask the driver to show his license it will have AZ on it A is for the truck and Z is tank endorsement. Whole lot better than trying to explain to a broker. Little white lie that will hurt no one as they do not understand we don't need them.

tasuinam

Was it an American broker or client? They just dont understand. Next time copy this and send it to him.

In 1988, however, Canada and the US signed a reciprocity agreement that acknowledges the fact that the testing and issuance of commercial driver’s licences in each respective country is similar. It was also agreed that drivers are prohibited from obtaining licences in each other’s country. Section 383.23 of the US Code of Federal Regulation [1] Specifies that Canadian drivers do not need a tank endorsement due to this existing reciprocity agreement.
This is good to know thanks - now I can argue with authority....

tasuinam

Must of been an American broker. They know what they know and there is no teaching or explaining anything to alot of them. Been through it before. I just tell them yep ask the driver to show his license it will have AZ on it A is for the truck and Z is tank endorsement. Whole lot better than trying to explain to a broker. Little white lie that will hurt no one as they do not understand we don't need them.
HA HA HA!!! I went to school in the US and had to take an English 101 class - for some reason because I was not American they thought I didn't speak English well - had never tasted ice cream...needless to say I just pretended I didn't know what Pizza or a Big Mac tasted like either...so semester one I ate very well and didn't have to spend any money....