Sure Track Courier - Back door solicitors

TransAction

One of my largest clients, whom I have been dealing with for 5 years had asked me to quote on a new lane back and forth to Cleveland, OH. They are a beer company in Toronto that we currently handle all of their domestic freight requirements. I called and emailed the carriers we know that run this lane to get some rates together for our client. We don't use Suretrack very often, but I decided to call them as I know they are a big outfit with what I thought was a good reputation. I explained to them that my largest client is now shipping to the USA and we require rates to and from Cleveland OH. I explained to them it was beer going out and empty kegs coming back through my largest client.

I didn't tell them who it was but it doesn't take much to figure out which beer companies are big enough and growing enough to start shipping to the USA. To my surprise, my client called me later in the day yesterday asking if I asked Suretrack to quote on this business. I naturally asked why and he stated that their sales rep called him and gave him rates for Cleveland, OH. I called Sure Track Courier back this morning asking for my rates and they told me they could not do this lane for me as they have "dedicated customers". I told them I knew what they were doing and this was very bad business practice.

So now instead of Suretrack working with us and getting the business, they will not get anything from this client or any of my other clients. I don't understand this mentality and business decision on their part. They obviously did not consider that I am personal friends with the Logistics Manager and we have been through thick and thin for the past 5 years. Our working relationship is a tight as it gets. They have tarnished their reputation with my client and with us.

I have heard of carrier's back dooring brokers when they have the freight but now we have to be concerned when asking for quotes that they are going to steal the business? This business is hard enough for honest hard working people to succeed in and it's no wonder so many struggle to stay afloat.

Maggs

I agree that there is and will continue to be "back door" solicitation - the integrity of those that do this is not honorable. However, we will also see that brokers or carriers that have larger or even smaller sales force will always be out there targeting other potential customers of ours. I think the main point is, if we as a carrier do work for another carrier or broker then integrity is to NOT back solicit. In our 43 years we have never once done this. Reputation means the world to us. Now secondly, it also takes the company that pays the freight bills to have loyalty with their carriers or brokers. This is disappearing as well. But, not to say for everyone. We could go on about this particular topic and unfortunately as expressed this will continue to be a challenge for us, just one of the many! But I am happy to know that you were up front an honest about this particular situation. So thank you.

EricG

Site Supporter
Thanks for the information about our competition. Its nice to get confirmation/knowledge that not everyone has the same corporate ethics we and the rest of the up standing players adhere to, regarding not-back soliciting your client's clients.

Happy Friday to all,

PackRat

Site Supporter
First and last shipment with these guys....paid for team service on a load that was need ASAP for production. Pickup Friday deliver Tuesday. Traced on Monday...freight was on their dock and going out for delivery Tuesday all is good. Traced Tuesday morning....spoke with someone else there "freight is on our dock will go out tonight for delivery tomorrow". Wait...that's what we were told yesterday. "sorry that's all I can tell you, call back later when the dispatcher and customer service rep are in". Called back thinking maybe their systems just wasn't updated and when we finally got hold of the original rep we spoke to all we got was "we will deliver tomorrow". I said hang on...we traced this yesterday and you told us it was on your dock and was good for today. Why didn't it go out last night? "We will delivery tomorrow". Original Dispatcher we booked the shipment with hasn't responded or followed up at all. Had to send in an expedited carrier to scoop of their dock and run direct to site. Turns out they lied about the shipment being on their dock the day before. Been doing this a long time...Trucking Happens...but don't lie to me. if the truck was running behind we could have made other arrangements to pickup off their dock when it did arrive and save us 16hrs. Lying = DO NOT USE LIST.

transbrkr

Trans Action...they not only lost your business and your customers business, they now lost mine too! I will not deal with them for them to steal my customers.
I also have long standing relationships with some of my clients, but some are newer and will jump if quoted a cheaper price.

As a broker it is so hard to get a new customer, and build a relationship and when a carrier back solicits its just unethical!
We try to stick with regular carriers that we trust, but sometimes the lane requires you to step out of that comfort zone.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
We've always had good service from them and never heard of them doing this to us.

otbroker

Used them on BC lane for years. They never wanted to pay small claims in the $100 range. We picked up most of these claims as they were doing a fairly good job. Then they ruined a large industrial tote of resin. Didn't want to pay claim. Offered us a third of the money owing. We ended the relationship and took them to small claims court. After settling with them for somewhat less than the full amount at a settlement conference they delivered a cheque to our office and the next day called and wanted to quote the business we took off them.

Freight Broker

I guess this is an old post. In the meantime its become easier to determine rates based on what's available on line. No more need to call around.. look it up.. add a bit for safety and quote.