Stop telling me how long it takes for my truck to get from A to B!!!!

Salma

Jan 16, 2009
Just need to vent a bit here...... I am sooooooo tired of people who have no idea of geography (or anything else) telling me how long it is going to take my truck to get from point A to point B. Especially WHEN I LIVE THERE AND HAVE TRAVELLED THOSE ROADS MYSELF SEVERAL TIMES!!!

Example: Cambridge ON to Hanover ON discussion
Guy (load broker) from another province who knows nothing about ON highways or geography: "... my miler says 130 km so that's, what, just about an hour and a bit? He can make it on time before the shipper closes today."
Me: "No, he won't make it even if he leaves right now. By truck it will take at least 2 plus hours. I live in that area and it's at least 2 hours by car."
Guy: "No, he'll make it. Speeds are, what, around 100 KM per hour, he'll be fine and won't be late."
Me: "No, he won't make it. Those roads are not 100 km per hour. I just told you I live there and, trust me, he won't be there in one hour so we can't pick this up today."
Guy: "I send trucks there all the time." (the TYPICAL go-to line when someone is a complete idiot and has nothing else valid to say)
Me: "Then you know exactly what I'm talking about."
Guy: "But..."
Me: "Have a nice day and good luck."
(my head explodes)

I can't tell you how many times per day I have the same conversation. It's just ridiculous. Common sense dictates that if you don't know the transit times or geography then just ask! Duh....

Rant over (for now). Thanks for reading!

Freight Broker

Sep 12, 2009
So true Salma.. sometimes one can turn around and use "lack of knowledge" to one's advantage.. Example, I had a really good paying load going from VA to Labrador one time .. A landstar agent called on it and they saw the rate and jumped on it as fast as they could. They learned the hard way that it ain't all four lane up here. Hell, they learned it ain't even two lane up here sometimes .. Last 300 miles of that trip involved a muddy cow path and an average speed of 8 mph. Wow.. were they furious!

dad2andrew

Jan 20, 2015
Brantford
So true Salma.. sometimes one can turn around and use "lack of knowledge" to one's advantage.. Example, I had a really good paying load going from VA to Labrador one time .. A landstar agent called on it and they saw the rate and jumped on it as fast as they could. They learned the hard way that it ain't all four lane up here. Hell, they learned it ain't even two lane up here sometimes .. Last 300 miles of that trip involved a muddy cow path and an average speed of 8 mph. Wow.. were they furious!
Sounds like one of my favorite places to have to send trucks in the middle of February...Happy Valley Goose Bay?

Freight Broker

Sep 12, 2009
In their mind they think.. Canada = Montreal/Toronto.. maybe Calgary too. So whenever I get a load that isn't into one of our big cities I go over it with them carefully.. Will try not to send a Texan to Flin Flon, MB again..at least not without first going over some basics like "Canadian Winters 101" .. or "Hello Marine Atlantic.. you DO need a ferry".. or.. "from highway to cowpath.. your journey to Labrador"..

Salma

Jan 16, 2009
I hate to laugh at someone's misfortune, but did they think they were going to get a reload out of anywhere in that vicinity?
I replied to this but then deleted it because I thought you were talking about Hanover, not Labrador. Duh... time to go home... lol

Freight Broker

Sep 12, 2009
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.. but I get what you're saying about people assuming everything is four lane 100 km/hr straight and level. Even a trip across TO can't be assumed that way anymore.. not with all the traffic, idiot drivers, and construction..