Smartway Certification

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We are just about to start the process, we are finding more and more customers are asking about it, not sure it makes a difference but maybe.

theman

Larger customers and those involved in 'green' industries are totally into it. It really depends on who your intended market is.

dontgetit

waste of time, I resigned/stopped for the hassle it is of no help, already have APU's, low rolling resistance tires/super single, skirts on trailers, driver training ect.

dad2andrew

Looks impressive on your websites or email signatures or any other documents, but not much good for anything else.

wiseowl

Reminds me of when everyone was supposed to have ISO certification. Big cash grab by ISO. Companies that went thru all the processes raised their ISO flag and within a yr dropped it since it was too expensive and a real pain in the butt.

Michael Ludwig

The overall consensus of it being wasted effort is pretty much the way I had been leaning. I'd been doing it for the past 3 years and ecologically we are well ahead of the curve.
The biggest problem I see with it is this ... I have one customer that fills my dedicated trailers from front to back and top to bottom ... you couldn't slid a extra piece of paper in there. I get penalised for that because I am not maxing out on weight. Because they are dedicated, they pay me to run one way empty. It's not my choice ... it's my contract. I get penalised for that too. In the meantime I get 10+ MPG ... go figure.

Freight Broker

More customers are asking for it.. and in California you have to be Smartway due to CARB or you simply don't get in. More and more shippers are asking for it, and often its simply "policy".. they want to look like they're "green" even if the way they operate nullifies any benefits of Smartway. As a broker I get grief sometimes from shippers who wonder why they're paying a fuel surcharge when the truck I'm sending in to them isn't "aerodynamic" I have this happen a few times a year... although no one so has been turned away. Personally I have to wonder why they even still make the non aero models.. Keeping the tanks and all the chrome looking good is a cost too.

wiseowl

The overall consensus of it being wasted effort is pretty much the way I had been leaning. I'd been doing it for the past 3 years and ecologically we are well ahead of the curve.
The biggest problem I see with it is this ... I have one customer that fills my dedicated trailers from front to back and top to bottom ... you couldn't slid a extra piece of paper in there. I get penalised for that because I am not maxing out on weight. Because they are dedicated, they pay me to run one way empty. It's not my choice ... it's my contract. I get penalised for that too. In the meantime I get 10+ MPG ... go figure.
Smartway needs to be progressive as well and understand the needs of the freight world. Bring this to their attention.

FreightFax

Larger customers and those involved in 'green' industries are totally into it. It really depends on who your intended market is.
If you are an asset carrier involved in any tenders, most reputable companies have a plan. "theman" are you currently working in this industry? Most new truck manufactures are into GREEN!, Europe is far more advanced on these programs then Canada, and we call ourselves green.

theman

I'm at least temporarily out but until a month or so ago I was in. I found when working with larger companies on bid tenders that SmartWay wasn't a requirement per se but if you had it and everything else was equal, it is an edge.

The purpose of SmartWay is to ensure that business processes lend to helping minimize carbon footprint ... it's not just about MPG, otherwise brokers wouldn't be eligible for it. It has to do with what systems you put in place on your equipment, and whether you are advocating methods to shift to rail when it makes sense, how you recycle, all sorts of things.

ISO was/is different ... it's a business process that ensures quality and is more complicated and costly to maintain than SmartWay.

C-TPAT is actually the most important one.

Freight Broker

My customers want to see aero trucks..even on the flatbed side. They want to see that everyone on my end is doing their bit to cut cost, even if its mostly optics. It's also why I "dress down" when visiting a customer.. nothing fancy, and my rental car is always an economy model. I try to convey the impression that I'm not wasting the customer's money..

theman

OK ... but that's not a SmartWay thing. It's normal in any business for the sales staff to convey a certain image, which is usually to convey success but not in excess. So driving an Escalade or something may look like excess, driving a nicely loaded relatively late model car or SUV that isn't too blingy is the best way. Driving a jalopy to the customer looks like either you don't care or that you have no money ... neither are good. As far as dress goes, it's a matter of who you're seeing and how you want them to view you. For instance, if I'm giving a presentation to Directors or C-level, I'm dressed in a suit or a blazer/pants at the least. If it's lower level and especially if I've met the customer before, it's business casual.

The aero enhancements are for an asset based provider, if a customer is asking about a specific truck it wouldn't be for that reason. You're right about California though ... something along the line of a 379 Pete isn't allowed there.