Shippers affixing customs docs to the freight

TransAction

Venting time,... i am so tired of shippers affixing customs docs to pallets thinking that the drivers are going to crawl all over the truck to try to find them and then customers getting upset with us when something goes in bond as they say "you had the docs". There needs to be an ISO for shipping. There's too many shippers out there that make their own rules and have no idea what they are doing.... I'm obviously working after hours for this exact reason...

I'm wondering to those carriers out there, if there was an ISO would you give these shippers a bit better rates? It would mean you know the freight is packaged properly, you would get the customs docs, the shipper is aware of max liabilities, etc, so this would mean less headaches for these type of shippers. Just a thought... thanks for listening, I feel a little better now.

PackRat

Site Supporter
I feel your pain TransAction...HOWEVER...LOL...the biggest part of this is driver training. If it's a cross border shipment then he/she is trained to not leave the shipper without the documents. It's a lot easier to take the "packing slip" off the skids when at the pickup then when 2 or 3 stops down the road OR on route to the border with a full truck. Just my 2 cents......

loaders

Site Supporter
Exactly! A driver wouldn't leave a shipper without a Bill of Lading. Why would he/she leave without customs docs? If it is a local agent doing the pick-up then extra communication with both the shipper and the agent is required, otherwise, don't leave without them!

TransAction

Some clarification, it's happening mostly with the common LTL carriers where the drivers are city ones or agents to the carriers.

Specifying the need to attach documents to the skids is just a strategy to get the shipper to follow a procedure. They have the same problem with documents that you do. Staff on the dock don't particularly care about paperwork and to ensure that the driver has a fighting chance at getting them they try make this an admin responsibility (preparing the paperwork package for the skid) rather than an ops responsibility. This way the dock staff aren't responsible for anything more than slapping the right pouch to the right skid. We have the most success when we get the documents emailed to us directly. Other than that this is where your driver - city or highway -makes the difference between being a "value" carrier and one that commands a better rate. That last comment isn't directed at anyone, just my experience.

wesward

Just always make sure all in and out times are on all paper work and try to get a pre approval and should get paid

Freight Broker

I take care of that by requiring the shipper to send me a copy of the customs docs. I then distribute them to the broker, to the carrier and to the driver if I have his/her email. That way I know its done.. everyone has the documents..and bingo, no more 2 am calls about customs. If the shipper fails to provide the docs and there's a problem I simply add all resulting costs to the invoice.. plus my healthy markup..