Self-Regulating -- Self-Governing

Gino_Ducati

Site Supporter
Good morning,

I am fairly new to the trucking industry, I am not a Driver/Operator, Carrier, or hold any affiliation with any transport company.

Going through some of the threads on this forum and speaking a few people in this industry, there does not seem to any one set of rules of practice or guidelines for operations.

The MTO and the Province look after the safety of the general public on the roads, but no one really manages the ethics and operations of any transport company.

In the last few months I have come across a number of ethical and unethical practices in the industry; everything from skimming from clients and other drivers. Having shippers and receivers pay longer than the allowed net time.

My question, is there a self-regulating or self-governing body or organization that protects the driver/operators and transport companies from shippers/receivers and the general public?

Thank you,
For your responses.

Gino_Ducati

Site Supporter
Would there be benefits to have a regulatory body that would protect the industry that is managed by people who have experience in the industry?

AccountsReceivable@DRC

Staff member
You can put any "body' into that job that has 30+ years in trucking (various capacities). Won't do any good if that "body" isn't recognized or given any consideration by a "governing" body.

That's the issue. Industry people have tons to say....and an overflow of efficient, cost effective and fantastic ideas to improve transportation. Now relaying those ideas to someone who will actually listen and getting an individual who actually has the authority to make any changes....whole different ball game.

Transportation is one of the largest industries in the world....lots of voices...just no one listening.....hence the state we are in now.

martinetav

well said @DRC. People who don't do what we do have a very difficult time understand the concept of working conditions that they would never accept. That is also why they are trying to ram a 9 to 5 format for Hours of Service and other elements of trucking in north america

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
The only way this industry works properly is the day that all bills are paid immediately at delivery........so never.

Gino_Ducati

Site Supporter
What if someone stepped up and lobbied at least the provincial government and found a way to put together a governing body that would fall under the Provincial jurisdiction.

Have a bill/act and set regulations made that would offer membership and governance to driver/operators, transport companies, brokers, and shippers and receivers.

1. Set fee schedule so that there is no gouging or under-cutting for loads;
2. Standardized terms of shipping;
3. Validation of driver licensing;
4. Minimum/Maximum net times to pay (making shippers and receivers follow the rules);
5. Rules for broker operations, involvement and responsibility for freight;
6. Controlling double brokering freight;
7. Set fines for any parties not following the rules.

This would be just a start to the laws and bi-laws.

I have spoken to a few people in the industry that would be interested in something like this but I wanted to get more feedback and see if there is any interest or benefit to putting something like this in motion.

martinetav

won't work my friend. This is a federally regulated business and if you want to be precise, it is a US federally run business. FMCSA a bunch of suits that don't even know the first thing about trucking. They are over influenced by the republicans and don't have a clue what life on the road is about. That is the biggest problem in this business. A bunch of people who don't have a clue, making rules to appease their voters, who don't have a clue either... Most of them couldn't even imagine working under the same conditions. And they want to turn this into a 9 to 5 from Monday to Friday and the drivers could be at home every night of the week to keep their family safe... yeah right...

hauling_ass

Too true martinetav! This industry is regulated up the wazoo as it is. How long will it be before the Ontario government demands that all truckers join the Ontario College of Trades??