Scotlynn Commodities

FreightGMR

So I brokered a load of meat to Eli at Scottlyn Commodities for pickup yesterday at noon...confirms his driver is on site.

10 minutes later i get a phone call from my customer asking who is BION Transport and wy are they saying they are here to pick up your load..... needless to say he double brokered and after i called him on it he admitted it and said it is what it is and it would deliver on time next day in Calgary... find out this morning truck stopped in Bassano AB and is now apparently broke down.... wow...

I called Eli to confront him about this and asked for his managers name ... he said it was John but refused to give me his #... beware guys...this is definitely a carrier who double brokers and then refuses to give answers when called out on it

Nawk

A lot of these produce carriers do this all the time. They have a arsenal of 1 and 2 truck fleets that haul for them and they will book loads to move these guys around. Veri Farms was famous for this back in the day.

It's unfortunate that the truck broke down but I think your load will deliver and that carrier will be paid.

The fact that they were less than transparent about who would be doing the work is wrong and unprofessional.

FreightGMR

Thanks for the feedback guys! It is much appreciated,... do you think I should still pay Scotlynn or should I call the carrier who actually hauled and pay them direct in your opinion?

loaders

Site Supporter
Tell Scotlyn, that in light of the poor communication and lack of proper information on their part, you will not be paying them until they provide you with verifiable proof that the actual carrier was indeed paid. Once that is confirmed, pay their invoice and exercise caution in any further dealings with them.

Shakey

Site Supporter
Thanks for the feedback guys! It is much appreciated,... do you think I should still pay Scotlynn or should I call the carrier who actually hauled and pay them direct in your opinion?

I just paid them and will not work with them again, as @Nawk said that is how these produce guys work. I never really felt good about them on this one account but let my dispatchers make the call. Was good learning experience for my team and luckily wasn't a large account that we lost. Sleep on it, helped me as I wanted to take them for all I could when I caught them.

Deisel1

If you aren't learning, you aren't progressing. We went through something similar, and after sleeping on it, and taking the emotion out of the equation, we agreed once that company was able to provide a paid invoice to the carrier for work rendered, we paid the invoice.

Good learning experience for everyone, and now we have policies in place to ensure we don't have these issues again.

STONES

They had done the same with us not too far back and the carrier that they double brokered the load to held our load captive! We paid direct to the brokered carrier and they delivered the load! Not professional at all!! Scotlynn kept dropping the rate on that carrier who had our load hence our load being held captive.

Freight Broker

I would pay Scotlynn as that's who you hired to run the load. Your paperwork and communication trail leads back to Scotlynn... nothing from you leads to Bion. Thus if you pay Bion you might open yourself up to problems from Scotlynn as they come looking for their payment. Also, if you pay Bion you've implicitly assumed the risk of doing business with them.. their breakdown and delay resulted in a problem with the load?.. ie.e. damaged product or a shortfall..? By paying them you've de facto accepted them as the carrier on this load and you've absolved Scotlynn of all responsibility. This could be catastrophic if it turns out that Bion's insurance has lapsed or is insufficient. Probably your best course of action would have been to jump on this when your customer called. At that point you could have vetted Bion first before giving the shipper the green light to load them. Been there done that.. had a load double brokered to a carrier who wasn't qualified.. luckily nothing went sideways.

Last edited:

loaders

Site Supporter
Of course by paying Scottlynn, you have accepted the possible risk of having to pay the actual carrier again, in the event of some sort of dispute between Scottlynn and the carrier. That dispute may or may not even involve your load. Double brokering is the scourge of our industry and those who participate in it are scoundrels of the first order. If a carrier cannot perform the service he has agreed to, let everyone know and come up with an honest and transparent solution, not some sort of secret deal that in most cases, will be discovered anyways. The same applies to brokers who seek out the assistance of other brokers to move loads that they are incapable of completing themselves. It creates a tangled web of brokers and too many carriers that makes solving any potential problems virtually impossible.

tasuinam

Of course by paying Scottlynn, you have accepted the possible risk of having to pay the actual carrier again, in the event of some sort of dispute between Scottlynn and the carrier. That dispute may or may not even involve your load. Double brokering is the scourge of our industry and those who participate in it are scoundrels of the first order. If a carrier cannot perform the service he has agreed to, let everyone know and come up with an honest and transparent solution, not some sort of secret deal that in most cases, will be discovered anyways. The same applies to brokers who seek out the assistance of other brokers to move loads that they are incapable of completing themselves. It creates a tangled web of brokers and too many carriers that makes solving any potential problems virtually impossible.

I say there needs to be a movie made about this and hostage loads and road rage etc... how is there not a movie already... I would want:
Lead actor - Jonny Depp
Dispatcher - Charlize Theron
Broker - Al Pacino

Like a pirates of the Caribbean but OTR

Freight Broker

No risk of having to pay the actual carrier as there's no load confirmation or anything linking you to them. I've had that happen too.. Carrier I never heard of asks for payment and I simply ask them to provide me with the contract we supposedly signed along with the rate con that I supposedly sent to them. Ohhh.. you don't have them? Ah shucks.. you're out of luck then. Go back to your contact at Scotlynn and sort it out with them.

Last edited:

loaders

Site Supporter
The broker pays Scottlynn and they, for whatever reason do not pay the actual carrier. This carrier after pestering Scottlynn without success says, hey, I am going to go after the shipper for payment, I have the Bill of Lading, the contract of carriage. The shipper says, hold on a second there cowboy, I have already paid my broker for this load, go take it up with him. So, now the broker, who has already paid Scottlynn as per his agreement and as per his load confirmation, has to deal with his customer who is facing legal action from the unpaid, bona fide carrier of the load. What’s a broker to do?...Let his hard earned customer face this legal dilemma alone? If so, he too will get caught up in legal proceedings because his customer will in turn sue him. Long story short....someone, either the shipper (who will be shopping for a new freight broker) or the broker is going to pay twice. Double brokering....even saying the words makes me want to throw up.

Freight Broker

And that's indeed how it could play out. And in that case I'd likely and would willingly pay the actual carrier, Bion, who ran the load. But that scenario is far less problematic than my opting to bypass Scottlyn from the get go and instead paying Bion. In that case I'm much more likely to have to pay both carriers, as I'd pay Bion AND the folks I have a paper trail with.. Scottlynn. If I pay Scottlynn first then I only risk having to pay Bion if Scottlynn (an otherwise reputable carrier) suddenly doesn't pay Bion (a much less likely scenario)

Last edited:

prsa

Did the same to us a while back. When I saw paperwork someone else had done the load and pointed it out he got annoyed with us and thought I was being difficult. On my forever DNU.