Satellite Dispatch Options

Maggs

I am trying to get ideas on which products to go with: Here is the issue:
1. Dispatcher gives information to driver.
2. Driver states dispatcher didnt give the full information.
3. Dispacther claims driver didnt follow instructions given.

Therefore to eliminate future miscommunication, I figure an alternative to our current Mikee Phone system of communication, perhaps a device where the dispatcher can simply send the information to the driver, then the driver can read the instructions. There are so many options out there and the costs can be enormous. So does anyone have suggestions on products or on products you may have already in place.
** we do have Fleet Complete Satellite now on all trucks **
Much Appreciated.

R

ranger_dispatch

dispatch

Hi Maggs,

We currently send all our dispatch instructions via SMS. Software is available online, for Blackberrys and Iphones, that you can install on your desktop.

Most drivers have unlimited SMS available on their phones. Saves us time, as we don't have to spell out everything for the drivers.

Also leaves us with a record of what we sent to the driver, and it's cheaper than satellite.

Hope this helps.

alx

Site Supporter
Simple and cheap

Here is what we have done and it works great.

Our drivers are usually in the USA within 1 hour of leaving our dock and are gone 5 days on average.

1) Send driver to any Wall Mart and have them buy a MY Boost phone.
Cost of phone : $60.00usd.

2) Set up recurring payment on a visa card: Unlimited USA usage for calling and texting costs a whooping $55.00/ month.

3) Set up each truck as an e-mail address in outlook. Text the driver the pick up details.

4) Call the driver periodically to make sure the texts have been received and driver is also happy to vent to dispatcher a bit (good for retention).

** All drivers have their own CDN cell phone and do not mind the odd call to or from their cells seeing their US calls to home are unlimited.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ranger_dispatch

Here is what we have done and it works great.

3) Set up each truck as an e-mail address in outlook. Text the driver the pick up details.

Hi Alx,

I've been trying to do it through outlook, but no luck. How do I setup the driver's phones as email address? Do we need to install anything extra?

We use the mike blackberrys and the BBM is free when its blackberry to blackberry dispatch will text over all info. Its nice because you still have the 2 way and the bbm

chica123

Site Supporter
We use the Boost mobile phones for our drivers as well. Not so great for drivers that spend most of their time in Canada. But the drivers that are in the States love them. They get unlimited talk, text, and internet for the monthly fee including calling to Canada for $5 a month. And every 6 months you pay ontime, the cost goes down by $5. Plus, they can phone home or wherever they please and it doesn't cost extra. (Sorry, not trying to be a source of advertising for Boost, but like Alx says, it is a great option for US drivers). Texting them gives them all the info spelled out and they can go over it when they have time.

alx

Site Supporter
Chica & ranger

To Chica : I have not been able to get service in Canada. Can you let us know how to do it?

To Ranger:
Go into Outlook and create a contact - put in the telephone number followed by @myboostmobile.com.

FYI : We have used blackberry's and other cell phones with Canadian providers. Got screwed by all of them at least once. Had drivers with $600.00/month billed because they were sending pictures to their wifes and others that ran over their allotted minutes.

NO more nasty problems with Canadian providers billing you for something new each month.

chica123

Site Supporter
Alx- We have 1 driver that has an old Boost walkie talkie phone. For some reason his walkie-talkie and texting work in Canada. For the newer phones, I think Boost has smartened up and blocked it somehow. But if they can get wi-fi like at home or at a free station, they can check messages there. The phone does not work in Canada for calling at all.

snafu

We use the Boost mobile phones for our drivers as well. Not so great for drivers that spend most of their time in Canada. But the drivers that are in the States love them. They get unlimited talk, text, and internet for the monthly fee including calling to Canada for $5 a month. And every 6 months you pay ontime, the cost goes down by $5. Plus, they can phone home or wherever they please and it doesn't cost extra. (Sorry, not trying to be a source of advertising for Boost, but like Alx says, it is a great option for US drivers). Texting them gives them all the info spelled out and they can go over it when they have time.
Put me down for one more that uses Boost Mobile.

They have a few spots in the U.S. where coverage lags a bit but usually that's in isolated areas.