Safety & compliance

krazysilk

Our Insurance is asking for this and need of help to which route to go to. I called safety and Compliance guy and he asking for $800 for his service and it will take him till next Friday to get done Since he is busy.

'Please provide Safety Plan action from your safety consultant that addresses the issues of hours of service, vehicle maintenance and vehicle regulation requirements, . They are expecting a much more detailed breakdown of how you manages your drivers and what you will be doing to ensure safety standards are met.'

if you had this kind of issue need you input on it

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
krazysilk our drivers manual is 110 pages long and we have SOP's for vehicle maintenance and just about everything else you can think of that needs to be done. $800 seems like a really good deal for all this info and if it makes your insurance company happy it is money well spent.

loaders

Site Supporter
I don't mean to sound cruel, but the posters question reminds me of one of my daughter's elementary school projects from so long ago.
"Dad, I need you to help me with my project on nuclear fission, and by the way, it is due tomorrow". Never did make that deadline.

MikeJr

Staff member
I've got to agree with Loaders,
If you provide your insurance company with a 50 page book created by a party that is outside your organization in order to obtain insurance what would happen if a driver was involved in a fatal accident because of brakes that were not maintained according to the 50 page book you didn't write or read or implement into company policy? It's a sure fire way to have a large claim denied.

I'd have an open honest conversation with your insurance company about your need for more time to pull together the actual procedures you have in place because they are not fully documented and you intend to do so for the betterment of your organization. Write it out, train your people to follow it and you will have nothing to worry about.

Just my 2 cents, sometimes worth 5 cents,
Mike

Nawk

800.00 is a good deal to have a safety professional copy his / her book and tweak it to put your name into it.

JJ Keller used to have a generic version (available in a Canadian version).

Side note... the fact that you're putting drivers in trucks without any kind if reference material, documentation of company policy and other details that a driver might need is somewhat unsettling to those that might be giving you their freight.

TRKINSURE

Krazysilk, you’ve got to get your stuff together. The tail does not wag the dog.

Get your safety consultant to work WITH YOU to revamp things. Get a drivers meeting scheduled ASAP. Call the insurer to be part of this meeting.

Trust me, I’ve seen dozens of carriers go out of business, that’s hundreds of trucks!! All because people all too relaxed about insurance. It’s a rough go this year and you usually only have 1 chance.

Put the money into this as though your business depends on it, cuz it likely will.

If you want to PM me I can refer you to GOOD CONSULTANTS that are recognized by the insurers. Typically “consultant” is a 4 letter word in trucking insurance.

Do yourself a favour, PM me. We’ll have a phone conversation and I can give you the advice to keep in business for another renewal.

what1ship

Getting a qualified professional Safety and Compliance company to write your manual is the easy part. Training your staff and drivers to understand it and comply will take some time. The sooner you start the better. The days of looking at compliance as an expense instead of an investment are gone any carriers who feel otherwise will be gone as well.