RFQ's

Michael Ludwig

Is Trans99 Logistiq on here? I hope so because I am going to rant!

At 3:03 PM today (a few minutes ago) I received an email from Trans99 Logistiq that contained an RFQ due by March 15th, no later than 3:00 PM.
You know what that says to me? It says one of two things:
1) Trans99 Logistiq is totally and completely unorganized, and that I should pay attention to that lack of discipline if and when I do business with them.
... or ...
2) Trans99 Logistiq has a complete lack of respect for me, my company, and the industry within which I conduct business. What is worse is that disrespect is very likely pervasive throughout their company. Furthermore, if their defense is "The customer just sent the RFQ to us.", then their customer is guilty of that disrespect, and Trans99 Logistiq is equally complicit by their action of forwarding the RFQ. I would very definitely pay attention to that if and when I do business with them.

So, in case anyone misses the point, especially Trans99 Logistiq, I am NOT completing your RFQ !!!

(Mic Drop)

loaders

Site Supporter
Re-read Michael’s post and pay extra attention to the due date of the RFQ. I think you will get it then.

Salma

That much I do know.. but why is that bad?
The issue is that suddenly, near the end of the business day, someone is sending a RFQ and oh, by the way, it is due tomorrow! We get this ALL the time and it is infuriating! Typically, we will get an email that says something like: "please see the attached spreadsheet and fill in your rates for all the lanes that apply to you". When you open the file, there are sometimes pages and pages of "potential" lanes. SO, the presumption is that your company operations should shut down immediately because this precious RFQ needs to be completed immediately! No regard, whatsoever, for anyone's time. Only, me me me and I need it NOW!
AND many times the email will say: all loads are general freight, skidded, max 44,000 lbs gross weight (HEAD EXPLODES!!!!!)

TransAction

I get it also, but not sure why so frustrated? Just delete them, no worries. I can however say that if we get any of these large RFQ's, we don't just send them to carriers asap specially if the timeline is tight. We also pay attention to how much of it is just asking for a rate and how much info is provided regarding service requirements. If we feel we can match their service needs and some of the lanes we might take a crack at it. Not without an additional request for a sales call or at least phone discussion. Another point is that if you get a large RFQ a few days before the due date either a) the requesting company is disorganized or b) you're just a schmuck who they're using to bench mark rates against the broker or carrier they want to use anyway.

Freight Broker

I take RFQs at face value without ascribing any negative motivations to the sender. Sure, maybe they are attempting to whore their loads out to the lowest bidder. Or maybe they are simply trying to use you for benchmarking purposes. But they could also legitimately be interested in hiring you provided that your rates are in the ball park. Personally I try to be strategic about responding to RFQs. I've been at this long enough to know where the problem areas are, and I'm only interested in work that 1 ) I can actually do and 2) that likely has some decent margin to it. That cuts out alot.. but that way I'm not spending my days quoting on everything under the sun. Take the RFQ as an invite to do business.. its a bit of a compliment. someone out there has implicitly acknowledged you as a qualified vendor and would like to engage your services..it's a nice respite from "we get 50 sales calls a day.. go away"..

loaders

Site Supporter
All true freight broker, but the point of Michael’s rant was limited to the timing of the request. A lengthy RFQ presented mere hours before it is due, is as he stated, either an example of the requesters disorganization, and/or a demonstration of their complete lack of respect for you. I am sure we can all agree that RFQs are a necessary part of our industry and can be beneficial to both parties provided they are used and presented in an appropriate manner, which does not include sending it out as an email a day or two before the due date.

PT INC

I take RFQs at face value without ascribing any negative motivations to the sender. Sure, maybe they are attempting to whore their loads out to the lowest bidder. Or maybe they are simply trying to use you for benchmarking purposes. But they could also legitimately be interested in hiring you provided that your rates are in the ball park. Personally I try to be strategic about responding to RFQs. I've been at this long enough to know where the problem areas are, and I'm only interested in work that 1 ) I can actually do and 2) that likely has some decent margin to it. That cuts out alot.. but that way I'm not spending my days quoting on everything under the sun. Take the RFQ as an invite to do business.. its a bit of a compliment. someone out there has implicitly acknowledged you as a qualified vendor and would like to engage your services..it's a nice respite from "we get 50 sales calls a day.. go away"..
or its been sent to a mass audience with BCC

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We quit responding to random RFQ's years ago, we would diligently work on them and find out that a fair price wasn't what they were looking for, our response to randoms now are tell us what you are paying and we will tell you if we can do it needless to say we don't generate a lot of business from randoms. Now our regular clientele we do RFQ's all the time when requested, usually come in at 3 to 5 on the list for price but wind up getting the business anyways because there are always lowballers in the bid and cannot do the business when awarded.

loaders

Site Supporter
We went through the same thing with a major customer a couple of years ago. We had been servicing a few of their lanes at a fair price and were providing the level of service their wanted. Then our friends at Nulogix came on the scene and convinced upper management that there were great savings to be had by throwing all of the business out to tender. Like a good supplier, we quoted on all of our existing lanes plus a few others only to be told that we were way, way too expensive and thanks for the memories....see ya later. Lo and behold, a few months later, guess who started calling for trucks? In a conversation I had with the new traffic manager, I asked if any lanes were awarded to any carrier who was not the lowest bid? Guess what......no. So basically the whole procedure was nothing more than who can give us the lowest price with zero regard for service. Fast forward to the present and although we never regained the volume we once had, we seem to providing something that the successful bidders can not.......available trucks. Funny how that works......cheap rates...”ahhh, sorry nothing today”, fair rates.....”what time do you want the truck there?”

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
When existing customers come back to us after failed service by other carriers we make them commit to the capacity we want because the capacity they gave up has gone somewhere else and to get it back this is what we need to leave a perfectly good customer to come back, it works pretty good.

Freight Broker

I'm okay with BCC... we live in a competitive world. About timelines.. I try to meet theirs but if I can't I try to get it to them asap. I have a customer who expects a response on an RFQ within 20 minutes.. most of the time I can't do it.. but I let her know and get her pricing asap. I don't let myself get too wound up over it.. after all.. she IS the customer.

Rob

Site Supporter
RFQ's the bane of the trucking society. Never got a stick of freight from those 200 page POS and my delete button works well on them when they come in now. I have had hundreds of them sent at 4 pm and we MUST have this done by noon tomorrow BS. Send me an email asking a rate from A-B you will get a quick response but send me 200 pg RFQ get lost.

I have to agree with Michael on this one. If it is that bloody important to get the lowest rate and that is all any of them must be as I have said done lots and never get a stick of freight on them so why the hell did you send it to me?

I am not working for nothing as it takes a lot of Rum to feed this of tower physicality and beauty and working on an RFQ all night to get nothing is just not in the plan.

Last edited:

Freight Broker

Just cherry pick the lanes you want. That really cuts down on the time on them. Most of the RFQs I do go no where as well.. but..the few that did work turned into home runs.