Police looking for missing truckload of P.E.I. lobster

Jim L

Even more reason for the shipper to take the time to identify the pickup company. I bet in this case the shipper has no driver name, just a scribble on the BOL and no truck identifiers (USDOT, CVOR, Plate etc). No wonder why police have nothing to go on. That was $300,000 US - easy come-easy go.

Igor Galanter

Well, more likely it will go through a bunch of restaurants with no discounts just to make an extra buck for the owners...
I'm not negative, just realistic, eh..
Sorry, Mike Jr...

loaders

Site Supporter
I wonder what the reputable, East Coast reefer carriers quoted on this shipment, compared to the 3rd party's rate? Obviously South Shore Seafood is the victim here....but just how much of this misfortune was brought on by their own actions, or perhaps lack of action? If I was an East Coast reefer carrier, I would definitely make a point of sending my sales people into them soon.

misto27

Site Supporter
They should identify it. I know it's currently in investigation but it would avoid other shippers / brokers / customers to get into the same situation.
I always refused those kind of loads ( reefer high value seafood ) there is plenty of other freight available, no need the extra hassle of these....my personal opinion.

loaders

Site Supporter
I understand what you're saying Misto27, but if you are set up for this type of freight, it is really no different than any other. One man's hassle is another man's bread and butter. I am sure there are lots of good, solid reefer carriers out East that would handle this type of load....at the right rate however.

MikeJr

Staff member
loaders,
Good point. If I was shipping $300k of live lobster to market and the large majority of pricing I have from reputable carriers that have all done these loads in the past without incident are close to the same number, then I receive a rate at 60% (insert your discounted rate here) of those other rates shame on me for thinking that I'm going to get the same level of service from this guy (or gal) I've never heard of or seen before.
You get what you pay for and if it's too good to be true, guess what? Your load gets stolen!

Keep well,
Mike

loaders

Site Supporter
Exactly Mike Jr. Although we don't know all the details surrounding this incident, one has to ask, how did this third party end up with this load? The article references a "shipping program" that the shipper had used previously with no problems. There is no mention of what this "program" has to say about the missing load or what their vetting process is for selecting proper carriers. Actually then, there are 2 names we would all like to know, the carrier and the "shipping program".

Gord M

If anyone hears about a lobster boil this weekend at an extremely discounted price, I'd be interested. I love me some seafood! They're $14.99/lb in the store.

Keep well,
Mike
The Cops should check their Flip app to see where the lobster is. Any lobster sale that starts tomorrow in Montreal at $5.99 a pound for fresh lobster would be a good place to start looking. lol

Gord M

If anyone hears about a lobster boil this weekend at an extremely discounted price, I'd be interested. I love me some seafood! They're $14.99/lb in the store.

Keep well,
Mike
The evidence has already been eaten..........what a perfect crime! lol

Michael Ludwig

Several years ago we used to haul bakery goods in from BC. Every Sunday without fail for almost 3 years, our truck would drop his trailer at VersaCold at 9:00 AM. At 11:00 AM a load of fresh shrimp would drop into the dock next to us. One Sunday my truck was running late and the shrimp truck was running early. The shrimp load docked at 9:00 AM, and our load docked at 11:00 AM. That was the day the thieves hit. You guessed it, they stole our load of baked goods, and missed the shrimp load.
Word on the street was there were some pretty pissed off restaurants in downtown Toronto that had to buy market shrimp to fulfill their advertised sale ... LOL