OLD Republic + RMIS = BOOM

ZoCNX

Who has insurance with Old Republic, would 100% knows what I`m talking about....and those who haven`t, I`ll explain....
Brokers who are using RMIS as monitoring system thinking this system would help them safe money and time (personally I don't see how) Here how it`s works...
Step 0. - Broker "B" has load for Carrier "A" but Carrier "A" insurance has to be updated or set up.
Step 1. - Broker "B" requesting RMIS to check on Carrier "A".
Step 2. - RMIS contacting directly ONLY carrier's Insurance Broker.
Step 3. - Carrier's Insurance Broker confirming with Old Republic that it's OK to put Broker "B" as certificated holder on the insurance's certificate.
Step 4. - Old Republic approves Broker"B" on the certificate.
Step 5. - Insurance Certificate is being sent to RMIS by Carrier's Insurance Broker (RMIS DO NOT accept any paperwork from the carrier).
Step 6. - RMIS is submitting approval to Broker "B".
Step 7. - Broker "B" team risk management department put Carrier "A" in "GREEN".
Step 8. - Carrier "A" is updated or set up with Broker "B". And load confirmation being sent.
.... this processes may take 30 minutes or may even take 2 business days....

As you can see the problem starts when Carrier "A" insurance need to be updated. . .
RMIS do not accept any certificates from carrier "A" or his Insurance's broker until (and THE ONLY WAY to update it) Broker"B" makes a request to RMIS to renew Carrier "A" certificate (can be done ONLY after Carrier's "A" insurance is expired). SO each year Carrier "A" have to contact every single Broker (that using RMIS) and request them to make an official request to RMIS on them in order to be updated. (basically have to go though same Steps each year).

SO ... This process can be simplify if OLD Republic would put RMIS on the Insurance's Certificate BUT it's against their policy. RMIS would not except any updates from Carrier or his Insurance Broker, or Old Republic, because it's against THEIR policy.

And one more thing ... let's say, I canceled my policy with OLD Republic for any reason, Old Republic would send BY MAIL a noticed within next 30 days only to Broker "B" not RMIS. .... AND all other Insurances have same 30 days cancellation policy (Yes, the "other" insurances would sent a notice to RMIS (BUT same 30 days by mail applies) and then RMIS would notify their clients (how fast, I don't know) ... what the point to have RMIS in the picture, please someone explain it to me...

PLUS if I decide to go for MORE overages in the middle of my Insurance year, all those brokers would not be able to know that, because same STEPs (as above) have to be followed.

Last couple years, it wasn't so bad ... but more and more Canadian brokers start to use RMIS and it's getting bigger problem. . . It took me from 11 AM to 5 PM to update my certificate with 2 brokers. By the time I became "GREEN", both pick up appointments was missed, so 2 of my trucks when to the yard and ALL pre-scheduled loads for those trucks went to the garbage bin. One of the Broker end up paying penalty because truck didn't showed up (and they couldn't find replacement)

... Anyway....

SO here is my idea to solve it.... there is nothing we can do with RMIS (since it's US company) but may be we can do some kind of a group petition to Old Republic to reconsider their policy or may be a group request to Old Republic to negotiate a different terms with RMIS.

Please let me know if you "IN"... or may be you have better solution to avoid all this mess, PLEASE let me know... or if may be you have different experience, opinion and etc on it, let me know. (would be glad to hear you all)

Sorry for the long threat.... again .... :)

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
ZoCNX how may coffees have you had today? :) I was thinking of going with RMIS, I guess my question is do you use RMIS as a company and if so would that eliminate all of this?

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
I'm certainly familiar with it, Here's what we use as a work around.

We have received your request to list Registry Monitoring Insurance Services Inc. out of Westlake Village, CA as a certificate holder.
However, as per your insurer, Old Republic Insurance, we cannot issue a certificate directly to this company.

Registry Monitoring Insurance Services Inc. is aware of this and we have come to a compromise.
In lieu of issuing a certificate to Registry Monitoring Insurance Services Inc., we can issue a certificate to one of the mutual clients ie. Hub, Exel, Mode, Sunteck, etc., provided we are given their company address. We will then forward a copy of this certificate directly to Registry Monitoring Insurance Services Inc. for their records.

chica123

Site Supporter
We deal with Old Republic through National Truck League. We have run into the same problem in past years. I don't think the National Truck League portal stops you though from printing off a certificate in their name, though.;)

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
No not at all why?
My biggest frustration with them is the way their process dictates the business processes of their clients.
That being said, its likely worth a chat with ORICAN about why they have reservations about them from an insurance perspective and won't issue certificates to them.

ZoCNX

We deal with Old Republic through National Truck League. We have run into the same problem in past years. I don't think the National Truck League portal stops you though from printing off a certificate in their name, though.;)
So you saying it is not OLD Republic it my broker and I need to change Insurance's Broker in order to avoid this delays and issues?

ZoCNX

ZoCNX how may coffees have you had today? :) I was thinking of going with RMIS, I guess my question is do you use RMIS as a company and if so would that eliminate all of this?
as a carrier only, there is no point for me to register with RMIS but I have to deal with them because brokers like Traffic Tech, Wheels, ABF, Mode, HUB and etc.

My opinion on RMIS - it is waste of money and having RMIS makes complicating staff more complicated. .... If insurance coverages are being reduced or opposite I went for more coverages, RMIS would NOT show that until my insurance renewal. All Insurance Companies have same 30 day cancellation mailing rule, so you can give a load to a carrier that don't have insurance any more, or no longer have hmmmm let say Protection of frozen products (for reefers) and RMIS would take zero responsibility for it. Plus you still need someone in the office (like risk management department) to monitor all carrier but now you do it though RMIS.

Nothing personal... but I really don't see any benefits of having them in the picture...

chica123

Site Supporter
Hi ZoCNX. I didn't mean to imply you should change your broker at all. I just thought that if by chance you have National Truck League, you could print one off their portal. I think all brokers will enforce Old Republic's stand on RMIS, but this is just a work around that I discovered to save myself a whole bunch of time. :)

allfreight

Site Supporter
There are other benefits to using RMIS we use them for onboarding carriers, they monitor safety (U.S. authority only) and insurance and update both constantly. They hold our records, contracts, and copies of documents. Over 90% of the time that we need an insurance renewal it is already on file. If it isn't we request the carrier get us a copy and we can upload to RMIS. I didn't evenrealize there was a specific issue with Old Republic. What does Old Republic do for Load Link?

Salma

We are also with Old Republic but we DO have a certificate of insurance listing RMIS as the certificate holder. We got ours without any issue so I'm not sure where the actual issue is occuring. I'm confused...

As a side note, Old Republic issues certificates for Load Link - they always have.

chica123

Site Supporter
Maybe they have changed their stance, Salma? That is good news for me. As recently as a couple of years ago my broker refused to provide me one for RMIS. Then I tried to create one on their portal and it allowed me, so I have been doing that ever since. Enjoy your weekend!

TRKINSURE

for any of those who are following this thread. Try using www.saferwatch.com . I have carriers & brokers using this. Same practice as RMIS but they also track 'suitable' carriers by their safer scores as set out by you.

Not sure on how the pricing works.... any feedback is welcome!

InsBroker

So you saying it is not OLD Republic it my broker and I need to change Insurance's Broker in order to avoid this delays and issues?
For issuing certificates of insurance having a broker that has someone in office that can issue certs, in most cases in less than half an hour, would be beneficial. But because of Old Republic's policy and I believe Intact is the same way using RMIS is not the most efficient method, especially in time constrained situations.

As for this message you do carry contingent cargo coverage or have a load broker policy right?
"All Insurance Companies have same 30 day cancellation mailing rule, so you can give a load to a carrier that don't have insurance any more, or no longer have hmmmm let say Protection of frozen products (for reefers) and RMIS would take zero responsibility for it. Plus you still need someone in the office (like risk management department) to monitor all carrier but now you do it though RMIS."

TRKINSURE

For anyone following this thread, Old Republic recently changed their stance on not allowing Certificates of Insurance for RMIS and other "clearing houses". An email was sent from the VP of operations a couple weeks ago.

Now you know :)

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
For anyone following this thread, Old Republic recently changed their stance on not allowing Certificates of Insurance for RMIS and other "clearing houses". An email was sent from the VP of operations a couple weeks ago.

Now you know :)
Thanks