O/O and Drivers needed

KeyFactor

Hi Belinda,
Was this post useful? I have a client looking for o/o's and drivers, but they feel those they attract are never satisfied and therefore don't stay long. My client says they pay well, offer good benefits and I know them to be extremely honest. What advice could you offer on attracting and retaining reliable o/o's that will stay for the long-term?

Freight Broker

If I may weigh in here... Back when I worked for a large carrier we found that our o/o and driver retention improved significantly by focussing on the "fit" as opposed to only the qualifications. Just because they're qualified doesn't mean they're a good fit based on lanes, type of work and hometime expectations. We found that most owner-operators prefer regular lanes as opposed to running open board. That's understandable as a steady lane means a steady predictable paycheck. One of the areas we had alot of trouble with was NYC. We solved that by turning it into a dedicated lane.. i.e. "if you're willing to run NYC we will make sure that we can feed you the loads and provide you with regular weekends home plus a bonus for running in there. This solution proved better than attempting to get everyone in our fleet to do "their fair share" of NY. Same with some of the other stuff.

whatiship

Good point FB.
Drivers and owner operators are more than aware that there is a shortage out there. Forcing them to run lanes that they don't want will only make them look for alternative employment. Years ago we had a real problem getting guys to run short into upstate NY and the Detroit area. Highway drivers normally hate these and prefer to run long distance. We solved the problem by getting some of our city drivers set up to run into the U.S. They looked at it as running long and liked the change of scenery.
Getting the right fit is the key, and more importantly telling them the truth during the interview as to where they can expect to run and how often.

Michael Ludwig

Getting the right fit is the key, and more importantly telling them the truth during the interview as to where they can expect to run and how often.
I have to second that ... I would much rather tell a prospective employee or owner-operator the truth and have them walk away, than lie to them and get a bad rep for it.