My rant

NotForHire

Hey guys, I never offer carriers less than 1.85 a mile, maybe when i have a really cheapo client 1.75 per mile. Ive worked both on the assest and brokerage side of the business. I know assest side is very very demanding, mistakes from dispatchers cost alot of money. I would be embarrassed to offer a carrier 1$ per miles.

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
Better yet = I'm told that its through their "exclusive partnership with True North".

More than 20 years in this gig, and I've never been more sick of the crap, the self immolation of rate structures and then the grandiose pontification at the next industry events about how games like this don't get played by their people.

Trucking18

Yup , buck a mile and the brokers have no remorse ... I hope we last long enough to see the rates go back up and tell em 3 bucks a mile

loaders

Site Supporter
It never ceases to amaze me! Read any article about an industry conference somewhere, and there will be the large shippers going on about 'partnerships", "synergies, "win-win relationships" and glorifying their "valued suppliers". Sounds great and wonderful doesn't it? However the reality returns on the Monday following the conference when those same "valued suppliers", lose the business for a rate reduction of $25.00 from some previously unknown entity. We have basically stood on our heads for a large multi-national shipper, completing numerous RFQ's, safety surveys, compliance questionnaires, etc., etc. and signed multi paged contracts confirming our rates and service levels for the next 12 month period. After a quiet stretch with no loads tendered, we discover that someone else now has the lane because they came in with a marginally lower rate, not during the bid period mind you, but as an after thought. I guess our "partnership" didn't offer the correct "synergies"! So before we start throwing freight brokers under the bus for low rates and a lack of loyalty, perhaps we should set our sights on the "big boys" out there.

Trucking18

100% agree, We kept our prices low during the peaks all throughout last year with promises of long term mutually profitable partnerships. Then in February this year what happens ? You guessed it ! Poof, just like Majic our two biggest customer left us high and dry. Great Industry !!!

Paul Shteyn

Staff member
Everyone needs to stick to rates that are profitable to run, too many small-time carriers that will disappear soon enough and the rate will go back up. Work together not against each other.

Last edited:

Freight Broker

It's the main reason I like the smaller shippers so much. Sure, they don't have the big volumes, but more often than not you're dealing with the owner.. no bullshit platitudes or bromides about how "we value our partners".. just normal communication and interaction based on mutual respect.

TRC604

The situation with freight isn't good right now.

Some of the more unscrupulous brokers I deal with are resorting to these kind of "deductions" now. Really shows people their true colors when times are rough. I'm hoping the situation will get better soon, though.

Freight Broker

Some of it is driven by shippers who are attempting to make up for high rates in 18. I've got people now who I can't deal with because their pricing has become predatory. But on the positive side I've got accounts that look out a little further and can see that things will bounce back, and they want to maintain their reputations as fair shippers. IMHO its best to take the long view... beat me now and I will beat you up when the market turns. If you're fair with me now I will also be fair with you when the market turns. Generally it works out.. taking undue advantage is shortsighted..

WALTERK

Meanwhile 2018 and 2019 were the best years for the truck sales! Somebody bought them, and a lot of them too. Every 10-13 years the overextended carriers will be shed and the smart ones that diversified and kept their ships clean will survive. The survives will reap the benefits for a while before the new ones show up again and start buying trucks left, right and center. Then things slow down and it happens all over again. You can't fix stupid!

Last edited: