Log Book fines

noproblembuddy

Site Supporter
Hi, I'm trying to give drivers an example of how much they would be fined for log book violations (to motivate them to stop doing repetitive but simple errors) as I audit their sheets although I cannot, for the life of me, find the set fines in the any of the current laws in Ontario's eLaw. Can someone please point me to where I can find them? Thanks.

buzzy

Commercial motor vehicles, driving rules

190. (1) In this section and in sections 191 and 191.0.1,

“commercial motor vehicle” and “operator” have the same meanings as in subsection 16 (1). 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 33.

Driving restrictions

(2) No person shall drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway except in accordance with this section and the regulations made under this section. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (2).

Daily log

(3) Every driver shall maintain a daily log and shall carry it at all times while in charge of a commercial motor vehicle on the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (3).

Surrender of daily log

(4) Every driver who is required under subsection (3) to carry a daily log shall surrender it to any police officer or officer appointed for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act upon demand by the officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (4).

One daily log only

(5) No driver shall make or have more than one daily log that records the same time period or overlapping time periods. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (5).

Operator’s duty

(6) No operator shall permit a person to drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway except in accordance with this section or the regulations made under this section. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (6).

Regulations

(7) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) prescribing the books, logs and records that shall be kept by operators and drivers of commercial motor vehicles;

(b) requiring the retention of books, logs and records, the information to be contained and the entries to be recorded therein and the places where they shall be kept;

(c) prescribing hours of work, periods of rest and other requirements for the purpose of subsection (2), including prescribing different hours or periods for different types of work or driving;

(d) exempting any person or class of persons or any vehicle or class of vehicles from any requirement in this section or any regulation made under this section and prescribing conditions for any such exemption.

(e) Repealed: 2009, c. 5, s. 52.

R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 190 (7); 2009, c. 5, s. 52.

Offence and penalty

(8) Every person who contravenes this section or a regulation made under this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $250 and not more than $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 1996, c. 20, s. 29.

whatiship

Hey NPB

A good way to get drivers or O/O's attention is to make up an official looking fake summons. (most of us have the odd one around to copy)
When you see a violation during your regular audits fill one in with the fine amount in big bold letters and put it in his pay envelope.
Put a copy in his drivers file (MTO auditors will like the idea)

It works even better when his wife is the one who opens his pay!

noproblembuddy

Site Supporter
Thanks Buzzy!

Whatiship: oddly enough, before I read this, yesterday I did a complete audit of all drivers and produced individual reports for each driver with the items they screwed up checked off (a list) and a % error rate showing the period of the logbooks. At the bottom, I explained that each item checked represents a potential fine to both the driver and company plus demerit points and attached a copy of a log sheet that is impeccable from one of our drivers as an example of how all logs are to appear: legible, complete and hours that add up to what the lines drawn shows.

whatiship

NPB

Sounds like you are doing pretty much all you can.
Trick is just to stay on them, document all discussion with them and hope they get with the program. MTO auditors can be understanding if they see that you are are trying to get it right.

alx

Site Supporter
Log

We still use the old single page here and have had one single violation in 10 years.

I had a driver that used a laptop to produce his logs and the software would not let him screw up.

We may just buy laptops for all our drivers ( small fleet) and will not have to worry about auditing.

noproblembuddy

Site Supporter
The common problems I have found is either guys not counting time blocks correctly the once in a while and writing down the wrong total or something completely necessary, like a b.o.l. number. The newbie drivers who get hired with "experience" seem to be lax with writing up logs, like forgetting to sign them lol. Had one guy who said the logs don't give him enough room to write what he needs to but his handwriting would make a pharmacist cry.

APMLOG

Log book

I have a question. I am new at having to check drivers log books.
Is there anywhere that I can take a class to show the proper way the log is to be filled out.

I cannot explain to the driver what they are doing wrong if I don't know myself. So I thought a class of some kind would be very helpful, as well as avoid any fines.

I am in Windsor, Ont but can travel to London or Toronto.

PSTC

I have a question. I am new at having to check drivers log books.
Is there anywhere that I can take a class to show the proper way the log is to be filled out.

I cannot explain to the driver what they are doing wrong if I don't know myself. So I thought a class of some kind would be very helpful, as well as avoid any fines.

I am in Windsor, Ont but can travel to London or Toronto.

I can help you out with training yourself. We are in Brantford but can are flexible as to where we train.

Derek Esseltine
PSTC Inc

P

phantom 309

Sad state of affairs, man works hard with his two hands and driving skill,. makes a simple mistake on his over regulated rule book,.and gets fined $250.00 more than he made working hard for the whole day,.
Name me one other profession that fines its workers for making a mistake on their paperwork,.i sure would love to be able check the paperwork of the desk jockeys and then fine them $250.00 for every mistake,(of course dispatchers never make mistakes). oh and thats after they do a real days work out in the cold chaining down etc,.
I'd love to be able to follow around a dot, or a cop, and at the end of the day check their paperwork and procedures and then fine them $250.00 for every mistake,and then keep it on their performance record for 5 yrs,. see how they felt about going home to their family and telling them "well i made amistake on my paperwork today, and it cost me money to go to work, even tho i did it on schedule and safely and the company still made money"

Meh,. desk jockeys,. if it wasn't for fines who,d need them?? I never met a desk jockey i could call and ask how to chain up a set of drives,. or where to place some odd ball looking piece of equipment on my trailer to get the axle weights right,. but they sure are quick to bitch about simple paperwork mistakes which the overbearing government has forced down the trucking industrys' throat with not 1 complaint from any desk jockey beacause paperwork mistakes justifies their salary.

Keep fining drivers and making their cvors' unacceptable, and you can keep pulling them right out of driving school to do your lackey work, and when you finally realise that there really isn't a driver shortage there is just a lack of participation by qualified individuals, then there won't be the need for so many desk jockeys.

meh.
Nick
bah,. humbug.

snafu

Sad state of affairs, man works hard with his two hands and driving skill,. makes a simple mistake on his over regulated rule book,.and gets fined $250.00 more than he made working hard for the whole day,.
Name me one other profession that fines its workers for making a mistake on their paperwork,.i sure would love to be able check the paperwork of the desk jockeys and then fine them $250.00 for every mistake,(of course dispatchers never make mistakes). oh and thats after they do a real days work out in the cold chaining down etc,.
I'd love to be able to follow around a dot, or a cop, and at the end of the day check their paperwork and procedures and then fine them $250.00 for every mistake,and then keep it on their performance record for 5 yrs,. see how they felt about going home to their family and telling them "well i made amistake on my paperwork today, and it cost me money to go to work, even tho i did it on schedule and safely and the company still made money"

Meh,. desk jockeys,. if it wasn't for fines who,d need them?? I never met a desk jockey i could call and ask how to chain up a set of drives,. or where to place some odd ball looking piece of equipment on my trailer to get the axle weights right,. but they sure are quick to bitch about simple paperwork mistakes which the overbearing government has forced down the trucking industrys' throat with not 1 complaint from any desk jockey beacause paperwork mistakes justifies their salary.

Keep fining drivers and making their cvors' unacceptable, and you can keep pulling them right out of driving school to do your lackey work, and when you finally realise that there really isn't a driver shortage there is just a lack of participation by qualified individuals, then there won't be the need for so many desk jockeys.

meh.
Nick
bah,. humbug.
AMEN Nick!