Loadlink Pooched, Again...

Rob

Site Supporter
Out in Brantford. I have 12ft left on a truck in Menomonie WI Monday if anyone needs help.

Freight Broker

Spoke with Tech support yesterday evening at about 6:30 PM. So the fact they were there and its still offline, indicates a bigger issue, funny I remember the days when you had to call to figure out who did what and which lane they service. Guess it helped because I seldom post anyway.

Yes, I remember those days too. A broker actually had to understand his/her carrier base.. who can do what.. on what days.. etc. Some had an encyclopedic knowledge of carriers and their capabilities. Don't get me wrong.. loadboards are great, but they've dumbed down the brokering side of it. Some people even post when, with a little bit of thought, they could come up with a carrier who they've used in the past. I don't post that much.. more old school..

FR84ME

Yes, I remember those days too. A broker actually had to understand his/her carrier base.. who can do what.. on what days.. etc. Some had an encyclopedic knowledge of carriers and their capabilities. Don't get me wrong.. loadboards are great, but they've dumbed down the brokering side of it. Some people even post when, with a little bit of thought, they could come up with a carrier who they've used in the past. I don't post that much.. more old school..
Loadboards have dumbed down the carriers as well. You used to have to have some salesmanship and finesse but now you lease some trucks and jump on loadlink and demand $6.00 per mile. I get it, times change but I do miss the "good old days" when carriers had their own outbound customers and we loaded them home.

loaders

Site Supporter
True enough. I have to remind my staff on occasion that posting a load and sitting back waiting for the phone to ring, is not going to cut it in this new market. When carriers post today, there are really just checking today's price for that lane. Some of course have actual trucks in the area, others are pre-planning for when they are there in a few days. For brokers, a much more proactive approach is called for these days to source trucks.

Freight Broker

I think so too.. more emphasis on putting together a carrier base and taking care of it. The boards have taken us away from that to some extent.. And posting/hoping for a truck when you've already told the shipper you're going to move the load is generally not a good idea.