Livingston International

ShipHapens

Livingston held up a Rims Truck for 69 hours last weekend. Totally frustrated poor Kevin probably has no hair left and I got involved only Monday morning from 8 am and was ready to kill someone by 5 pm when we finally got released.

Salma

Livingston held up a Rims Truck for 69 hours last weekend. Totally frustrated poor Kevin probably has no hair left and I got involved only Monday morning from 8 am and was ready to kill someone by 5 pm when we finally got released.
I honestly believe that Livingston is the leading cause of PTSD! (In trucking, anyway)
They are the Harvey Weinstein of customs brokers - everyone knows but not much can be done.

Last edited:

chica123

Site Supporter
Well I learned a little interesting tidbit today after it took 7 hours for them to set up a shipment for me. The driver was at the border for 3 of those 7 hours. After approx. 8 phone calls to their useless call center and speaking to several people all over the globe, I was transferred to a local office. (I don't want to say which one because I don't want to cause trouble for the lady that answered my call.) Progress!!! Not so much. She was kind, she listened patiently to me and sensed my frustration...you all know the feeling. She must have been frustrated too, because she let something slip to me. She said that Livingston has brokered out the work to companies overseas. I don't mean the people that answer your calls at the call center; we all know they are not here in Canada. I mean the actual setting up the entry. She said she could not even call the team that does the entry because they don't have a phone...only an email contact. So now it all makes sense. No wonder there is so much pushback when you ask to speak to the team. I don't know if all customers are served by these overseas subcontractors, but now you know that many are!

Nawk

To many large companies... a good customer experience means nothing anymore. It's all about the all mighty dollar.

loaders

Site Supporter
Especially for a company with multiple entries per day. A couple of bucks off the rate and thousands are saved every week.

Jim L

It is a sad testament of how business decisions are made every day. The company puts someone in charge to obtain rates/quotes for a service. Usually this junior person has no idea on what the service consists of but is asked to get prices. These prices are then put into a spreadsheet, sorted Z-A and the company in the top row is awarded the business.

Years ago, RFQ's came with a scope of work and this is how someone was measured. Service providers made sure that they priced things accordingly based on the scope of work or risk being dropped or worse because they did not meet the scope of work.

I like to call this the SPIRIT AIR effect. Spirit has identified that being in the top position on web searches gets them business so they lowered their prices and charged add-ons instead of a higher flat fee. This was so effective at the that Spirit obtained profit margins much higher than their peers and thus, other airlines followed suit.

Livingston is no different. They have obtained a market share by purchasing other brokers and charging a small base fee to keep them in the top row of the spreadsheet.

Hopefully some day, some cost accountant will identify that the low cost on this spreadsheet leads to a higher cost on the opposite spreadsheet and that they will go back to identifying the needed scope of work to keep their costs in line and acquiring service providers that work within the scope of work.

As for Livingston, start charging your customers an added fee for using Livingston's service. I have had some success with that for my direct shippers. At the very least, it adds to the discussion and you can call on them when you're having real problems, like you described above, and get them to share in your pain. For some customers I have passed the buck to them, they take my PARS and follow up with Livingston directly so they understand when I charge them 'WAIT AT BORDER' time.