KANINE TRANSPORT out of Toronto

FREIGHT15

Carrier calls me on a partial out of IA into MB..... says they have a truck in IA right now and would like to load tomorrow morning and I was happy with that, gave me a rate of 1200 for 16 feet. I didn't argue with him..... all day passes, and now being 3 pm, calls me and says his truck broke down in MB and he can't take my load....

I said I thought your truck was already in IA?
he responded , i'm sorry just cancel it......

getting really tired of these " carriers" just picking up and dumping freight, either because they have found a better paying load, or because they have no integrity whatsoever.....

Freight Broker

I hear ya.. but one has to remember when the opposite happens.. Had one today where driver called me at the 11th hour to advise that his compressor fell off and that "he's working on it". I thought to myself.. yeah right.. in 30 minutes he'll call back to cancel. Not what happened.. He did call back.. said he jury-rigged it.. and that he's loading as we speak. Got to love people like that. And not an o/o either.. a company driver. Lucky carrier to have him on the payroll, and I told him so.

Pasha

Today booked a shipment from grand rapids mi to on . Broker Cancelled on me 3 pm he found someone cheaper. Fun stuff

AVIII

Kanine at it again. Called and booked a TL from Mississauga to Dartmouth. They added LTL to it and made my customer wait at pickup and delivery changing the drivers status every hour. When it was suppose to deliver on the Friday we were told several times that this was on route to deliver stringing our customer along and they contacted our reciever to book saturday morning after it was 6pm there friday and they couldn't make it. They held a crew overnight to saturday for the delivery and we were charged back for the crews time. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS CARRIER. IT TURNED OUT TO BE A DISPATCH SERVICE. They lied to us constantly through the process and call your customers direct even when asked not to ahead of time. We had to find out Monday morning about this in email from our customer. They are in the process of losing customers business not gaining it. Another beautiful example of the greed in our industry hard at work here.

Jim L

All the more reason you have to vet your carriers and ensure that they are actually a carrier with the resources, assets and capabilities for the lanes you are asking them for. Lets be honest, the industry has pushed the limits on lots of carriers and profitability has diminished at every aspect in the economy.

Those brokers who have been through this time and time again will realize that this is the time that you count on the carriers who have been around and with you for years to justify their proven track record. This is not a good time to give new carriers a chance - even if the cost is your best choice.

Nawk

Good point JIm.

Far too many brokers these days are price driven.

I'd much rather pay a fair price to a decent carrier and get the job done right and then get some more work out of that same customer because you actually have provided a service (rather than just chopping a rate).

The FMCSA shows these guys in AB and operating 4 Trucks. They are over the national average for OOS (on equipment). An insight on the type of fleet they're operating.

The TransCredit tab on LoadLink shows them as high risk (that info has to come from somewhere doesn't it ?). An insight on the type of business they're running.

If you win it on price... you'll lose it on price.

Use your knowledge of the industry. Determine who the best carriers for the job are... rather than who can do it the cheapest.

loaders

Site Supporter
I whole heartedly agree that whenever possible, brokers should use the carriers who have proven themselves capable to do the job, time and time again. If only those premium outfits were able to be positioned exactly where I want them to be every time I need them. Unfortunately, they can't. Which means, as AV111 experienced, taking a chance on a relatively unknown carrier. Oh I know, vet them, vet them, vet them. Google earth search their address, call at least three references, check Safer, Carrier 411, perhaps most importantly, search here on Inside Transport. These are all good measures and I hope and trust that my people perform them each and every time we decide to do business with an unknown. All this said however, sometimes a rat slips through your defenses and causes irreparable harm. The lesson to be learned when this happens is to review your process, add additional checks where required and please, let everyone on this site know who the bad apple is. If we can starve them out of work, it might be one less dirt-bag to watch out for.

Jim L

Thanks for your feedback. FYI your making assumptions that were price driven... Were not. This was the only carrier available at the time. I'm just sending this as a warning to help people here.
The comment I made was not about price because that is a double edged sword as you can get a bad carrier even if you pay a ton of money. There are lots of other carriers available for the lane of Mississauga to Dartmouth. I find it hard to believe that these were the only ones. Did you have any previous experience with them? Did you call their references (if they had any)? I guess if you're shooting from the hip to get this covered you have to manage what little choices you have.

Thanks for the heads up about this carrier.

TransAction

Thanks for your feedback. FYI your making assumptions that were price driven... Were not. This was the only carrier available at the time. I'm just sending this as a warning to help people here.
Oh grasshopper, I thought I taught you better than that....