Jamie Woodley - Rome Transportation

Igor3083

We booked a load with him and he asked for a straight thru delivery from Sherbrooke, Qc to Cambridge, On. The driver came from Montreal to Sherbrooke and was loaded at 4PM. Jamie was advised that the driver had the full hours and will go straight to the delivery. During his drive, he encountered some traffic and ended up being short about 30 min on his hours, and stopped right before the Milton scale. So he couldn't make it as requested. Jamie turns around and deducts 500$ from the rate for the missed delivery.
Have to mention that there was no discussion about any charges due to being late. When asked to explain he just keeps repeating that it was a straight thru delivery and the Jamie doesn't want to listen to anything. The driver tried to go straight thru, but because of some traffic couldn't. Please be aware when booking, you might not get the money you agree.

Henry

This one i am surprised about. Rome has treated us well even when there were additional fees that needed to be negotiated. 12 shipments and paid within 45 days.

LouieLouie

Sounds like par for the course when you deal with Rome, Traffic Tech, FLS and the rest of those "Big Machine / Call Centre" brokers. Most of who are on our DNU for exactly that type of thing.

Not worth the hassle and the fight to get the rate that was initially agreed on.

Henry

It can be tough to negotiate after the drop. I always try to negotiate additional charges or fines before the delivery if possible.

Rob

Site Supporter
PC Miler shows 9 hours .31minutes hours drive time MTL- Sherbrooke- Cambridge. The guy can work 16 something seems fishy here.. If he had full hours in Montreal that was one hell of a backup maybe the driver needs to listen to the news etc.

Been awhile but with a full 13/16 there is no chance this could not be done.

chica123

Site Supporter
I had thought along the same line as Rob, but then I read that he first drove from Montreal to Sherbrooke. That adds another 1.5 hours on the trip. If he was loaded at 4pm in Sherbrooke, he probably didn't hit much traffic going through GTA. But, when he said he had "full hours" he really didn't. He had full hours less the time he travelled from Montreal, plus the time it took to load. That might make a little more sense. Knowing this, I would have been unwilling to promise that the driver would make it to Cambridge going straight through.

Whitie

Were they made aware during delivery or after? I find if you are up front and honest during transit it helps after the fact.

Henry

I would not hesitate dealing with them. I always try to renegotiate additional charges before the delivery is made.

Henry

The rates are agreed upon up front. if we don't like the rates, we don't have to take the freight. NO ISSUE with Rome for me.

Woodley

Woodley here - Please note that when I booked this load with them at 10AM they said ETA would be 10 / 11PM same day and they had enough hours to drive direct (direct was very important and I relayed this to the dispatcher multiple times when booking). When I confirmed pick up around 1:00ish and again confirmed they had enough hours to get there direct. Before I left work (4:30ish) i called again and confirmed they had enough hours to get there and they provided new ETA of 1:00AM. I advised receiver of new ETA (customer was ok about the delay to 1:00AM) and left for for the day. When I got to work the next morning I had 5 voice messages asking where the f$*@# the truck was from the receiver. No update provided by Real North / Big Eastern until I had to call them and ask wtf. They finally arrived around 9:30 / 10:00AM. This being about 12 hours late on the originally ETA when we booked at 10AM the previous day. They basically lied to me 3 times about having enough hours on a very time sensitive shipment which pissed off a lot of people. If they were going to be that tight on hours they should of been honest with us when booking at let us know its going to be really tight and we would have picked a different carrier. The lady dispatcher mentioned no worry about hours and took the shipment. I had confidence about giving them the load as they told me zero issues about hours 3 times during the day.

Jim L

Woodley, thanks for your side of the story as it helps everyone here know a lot more of the situation.

My original thought about this whole thing is that the driver probably lives in the GTA and decided to sleep at home. Maybe the urgency was not communicated to the driver or the driver just ignored it. It is one of the biggest complaints from drivers - hurry, hurry, hurry but when they arrive everyone is dumbfounded why the driver is here or worse, nobody unloads the trailer until morning anyway.

I'm sure Woodley communicated it to Igor and Igor had all the intentions to deliver on his promise but almost all the time, the driver is not included in the conversation and in the end it is only the driver who can make it happen. I'm sure that if extra funds were made available due to expectations but that also was not communicated to the driver (the driver probably only got his per mile rate). My recommendation to you Woodley, especially in this situation, would be to tell the carrier that if they fail the delivery, the rate will be deducted by $x.00. Usually a hard number places the expectations in a clearer light and gives both parties a chance to discuss it further.

Rob

Site Supporter
LMAO. Sounds like another tell you whatever it takes to get the load we are full of shit and would not know the truth if it bit them in the ass carrier. Seems to be a lot more of them lately.

Gord M

We booked a load with him and he asked for a straight thru delivery from Sherbrooke, Qc to Cambridge, On. The driver came from Montreal to Sherbrooke and was loaded at 4PM. Jamie was advised that the driver had the full hours and will go straight to the delivery. During his drive, he encountered some traffic and ended up being short about 30 min on his hours, and stopped right before the Milton scale. So he couldn't make it as requested. Jamie turns around and deducts 500$ from the rate for the missed delivery.
Have to mention that there was no discussion about any charges due to being late. When asked to explain he just keeps repeating that it was a straight thru delivery and the Jamie doesn't want to listen to anything. The driver tried to go straight thru, but because of some traffic couldn't. Please be aware when booking, you might not get the money you agree.
I dont believe your guy had to shut down 30 miles before the delivery, I've never heard such bullcrap in my 30 years in this business that you cant maneuver a paper logbook to cover 30 minutes............this folks is a bullshit story from a carrier that didn't deliver........I have no vested interest, nor do I know of either side but the $500 deduction was probably deserved............funniest story I ever heard! Pull the other leg.............there are professionals on this site that understand the business, don't waste our time with ridiculous complaints about deductions by a broker that has been in business longer than you've been alive........ when you are at fault.