Ignorance at it best.

Igor Galanter

Hey, folks!
Is it just me being too concern about other people safety and trying to help if I can, or.....?
Lately, I noticed almost every second day, too many people driving their cars with the MIRRORS FOLDED IN.
Different type of cars or SUV or pick ups, but all oblivious to the point that I had to step down and pointed my index finger ( ya, I know) to the mirror....

I do like all that technology we are have axess to but I never ignored basics...
At least all of them express their gratitude to me....

Be safe out there, eh...

MikeJr

Staff member
Even with a backup cam you really can't see who is flying past you from down the isle, people really need to inch out a little and LOOK in both directions for other motorists.
Mind you, most of my driving is in Brampton lately. I've got a dashcam now in order to protect myself from the people that make right turns on red lights after I'm already in the intersection in the right lane (doing about 80 kmph). It's really amazing how many people really think they own the road! I don't even get mad anymore when I get cut off, it happens so frequently I have to just let it go or I'd be a road rager.

Keep well,
Mike

Igor Galanter

I hear ya I had to follow a combine for 1/2 a mile yesterday it was hell!!

No idea how you folks live in that rat race. One trip a year to a city reminds me why I live in a town with one stop light.
What doesn't break us, makes us stronger, eh...;)

Michael Ludwig

I hear ya I had to follow a combine for 1/2 a mile yesterday it was hell!!

No idea how you folks live in that rat race. One trip a year to a city reminds me why I live in a town with one stop light.
NO WAY !!! ... when did they put a stop light in there ???
Things are looking up in Oxford County ... Hydro last year, now a stop light ... you guys get running water and you're golden !!!
So, do you guys have to teach the horses to recognize the red light, or do they figure it out on their own ???

dad2andrew

Sadly not surprising, see more and more of it day in, and day out. I'm not a professional driver but have put on my fair share of mileage and can notice a difference. I can only imagine what guys who put on hundreds of miles a day see. It's getting worse. The worst part is you can pick them out MILES ahead or even behind you if you're watching. They don't even have to do anything yet, but you can just tell by the car...be it brand, model, tint, stereo, or my favorite..."tuned exhaust!"

Kevin.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Car driver complete idiot no question but if I put my safety hat on, yes car driver did pull out in front of truck driver and they did well to get into center lane and should of let the car go but tuck driver seemed to crowd into right lane with car in it, then truck driver tailgates even though car is playing games, then driver runs light to turn right. The hard part of being a "Professional" is drivers being able to immediately letting things go and management to have the hard conversations that it doesn't matter that the car cut you off the ensuing accident after the fact from crowding or following to close would have been the truck drivers fault and trust me after the law suit you will learn the cost.

Michael Ludwig

@Bullfrog ... you know that's actually not a bad idea. Of course the police won't do anything, but if every carrier that employs dash cameras sends in videos of cars doing stupid things, eventually someone has to take notice ... wouldn't you think ???

chica123

Site Supporter
Here is what I think. I think truck drivers see this every day, really. I also agree with lowmiler that the driver of the truck crowded too close after the fact. But I believe that the Ministry of Transport needs to acknowledge that drivers of passenger cars do not fully understand the time trucks need to slow down or stop. Why have they not dedicated a section of the driver's handbook to teaching passenger cars on how to safely share the road with large vehicles? I actually think that if driver's education courses did the same, it would create a better awareness. Of course it will not solve the problem, but educating drivers of cars would be a good step in the right direction. I think a lot of driver's out there simply don't get that trucks cannot stop as fast as they can.

dad2andrew

Here is what I think. I think truck drivers see this every day, really. I also agree with lowmiler that the driver of the truck crowded too close after the fact. But I believe that the Ministry of Transport needs to acknowledge that drivers of passenger cars do not fully understand the time trucks need to slow down or stop. Why have they not dedicated a section of the driver's handbook to teaching passenger cars on how to safely share the road with large vehicles? I actually think that if driver's education courses did the same, it would create a better awareness. Of course it will not solve the problem, but educating drivers of cars would be a good step in the right direction. I think a lot of driver's out there simply don't get that trucks cannot stop as fast as they can.
Not sure if it's that they don't get that they can't stop as fast, I think it's because most are completely oblivious to ANYTHING going on around them. Doesn't matter if they're driving or walking, or biking. They see the "go" symbol and they go. Their heads don't swivel anymore, just look straight again...don't check to make sure anything has gone wrong that could cost them their life.

MikeJr

Staff member
I've mentioned it before in this thread, this right turn on red rule needs to apply only to people who are capable of looking left first and judging accurately if it is safe to turn right. Is there a way to enforce this? People that can do it safely enjoy the benefit, people that can't wait for the light to change..

I learned to drive in la belle province, can't turn right on a red there still on the island I believe. it because drivers are incapable of doing it safely, I'll hold comment about signals being brand new on used cars etc... I'd say the same for where I live now.
A dash cam is an inexpensive investment vs. a new bumper/radiator when it comes to an insurance claim where I rear end someone (usually deemed fault of person with front end damage). My cam will prove my innocence!

Keep well,
Mike