I hear rumours ...

Michael Ludwig

I hear rumours that some carriers are running, successfully, the 6x2 configuration here in Ontario.
How are they working out?
Pro's and Con's?

bubba-one

Site Supporter
We've had 2 units running the 6 x 2 configuration for about 2 year, good fuel mileage and no issues to speak of. 2 more of these to arrive by end of this month.

bellcitytransport

This is new to me..what is it?
Only 1 of the two axles are powered. Usually the rear, the front then becomes a tag axle, similar to a trailer, OR a lift axle. Conway before it became XPO and then CFI again ran many units in 6X2 combination, and Mesilla Valley Transportation have been running 6X2 for decades. Saves on tire costs, way more fuel efficient.

nir182

Only 1 of the two axles are powered. Usually the rear, the front then becomes a tag axle, similar to a trailer, OR a lift axle. Conway before it became XPO and then CFI again ran many units in 6X2 combination, and Mesilla Valley Transportation have been running 6X2 for decades. Saves on tire costs, way more fuel efficient.

Oh ok I totally assumed that all the tires were in motion. Also, it's good traction in snow and muddy yards.

Michael Ludwig

The downside is they are technically illegal in Ontario.
MTO's reasoning, in their infinite wisdom and totally at odds with the entire country's carbon reduction initiatives, is that the 10% weight shift from the non driven axle to the driven axle, for purposes of traction in slippery conditions, would potentially make the driven axle overweight, and they just can't have that happening.
In other news, MTO has yet again delayed the SPIF requirements with no implementation date yet announced.
Bureaucracy at its finest ... What a bunch of f*****g morons !!!

ralphthetrucker

Oh ok I totally assumed that all the tires were in motion. Also, it's good traction in snow and muddy yards.
Actually, they can be horrible for traction if the "dead" axle is on higher ground than the drive axle...you see those guys hung up quite frequently.