Hazmat Surcharge

MikeJr

Staff member
So...

Does anyone want to share what you are using for a hazmat surcharge?
Back before the gray hairs started I recalled that on average using a 10% vs regular dry van rate was applicable to both LTL and TL and on most lanes. Some years later, I have a hard time believing this is really the case today.

I see some carriers add a flat amount, some charge very little (2 to 5%), and others demand 20%+.

Is this just a laneway/supply/demand and I'll never have an approximate standard? Approximately how much are the increases in insurance costs? Approximately what are the costs of ongoing training for drivers and warehouse staff? I know well what it costs to train office staff to offer hazmat freight to a carrier as just about everyone here does the training every 2 years, it's marginal.

Not sure anyone wants to share the info, we'll see.

Keep well,
Mike

Freight Broker

It really depends on the commodity, lane, and amount.. If its your basic class 3 or class 8 I don't charge anything extra as truck availability is generally as good as nonhazmat for that stuff. For the more dangerous dangerous good.. i.e. class 1 explosives, class 2 poison gas... or class 7 radioactives I charge more, depending on lane and truck availability. I have no set markup, though, for hazmat.. as is true for all freight, I try to determine where the market is in terms of rates and capacity and price it accordingly.

MikeJr

Staff member
Yup,

Those details sound familiar, depends on the class being shipped and the laneway also LTL or TL are a factor.

Thanks for sharing and also thanks to those that PM'd me their ideas on the topic, much appreciated.

Keep well,
Mike