General Insurance Discussion

otbroker

Update of interest to Brokers who deal with Eagle Underwriting. Please check your policy. We did not see a clause they added under Insuring Conditions.
"Excluding liability attaching to selection of carrier through internet based carrier matching service." They are trying to deny our freight claim as we found the carrier through Load Link.!!! Anyone else deal with this?

PackRat

Site Supporter
That is a BULL SH&T clause....talk about typical Insurance Companies trying to screw their customers. It's all good as long as they can cash your cheques but the minute you need them! GRRRRRRR

otbroker

We are looking for a new underwriter and broker if anyone could recommend one that does contingent cargo without exclusions that make our job impossible.
Thanks All

loaders

Site Supporter
We use Marsh Canada. They have lots of transportation experience. It is a good idea to get a few quotes from brokers/insurers with a transportation background. Rates have been going up lately so be sure to shop carefully.

loaders

Site Supporter
Hmmmmm???? A problem with Marsh? I would be interested to hear your opinion. PM me if you like.

Nawk

We use Marsh Canada. They have lots of transportation experience. It is a good idea to get a few quotes from brokers/insurers with a transportation background. Rates have been going up lately so be sure to shop carefully.
We also use Marsh and have been happy with the speed and professionalism they use when dealing with any issues at all.

MikeJr

Staff member
My employer has been a Marsh customer since before I started here in 2005. When I reach out to Marsh (usually be email), they answer within an hour pretty much all the time. I reach out with random questions about claims they are not involved in (because the claim is too small) and they are always helpful in steering me in the right direction or offering a different train of thought all together. I think we have put one claim in over the last 15 years but they help in any way they can.

If they are as big as you say they are, we are a drop in the bucket of their business but they make me feel like they are there for me.

In my experience.
Mike

Maybe it's the person you deal with that makes a difference?? Tip of the hat to: Josee Houle, Tom Hammers, Patrick Lobo (retired).

MikeJr

Staff member
For sure!

I bet you get all kinds of feedback from all kinds of sources (both good and bad). Honestly, I know most people like to bitch and complain and share bad stories (like most of what goes on here). I wanted to take a sec to offer some positive feedback when it was due. :)

Keep well,
Mike

Jim L

This conversation has gone way off topic. Can a moderator please move the Marsh conversation to a different post as it does not apply to Burse's Express.

Nawk

My employer has been a Marsh customer since before I started here in 2005. When I reach out to Marsh (usually be email), they answer within an hour pretty much all the time. I reach out with random questions about claims they are not involved in (because the claim is too small) and they are always helpful in steering me in the right direction or offering a different train of thought all together. I think we have put one claim in over the last 15 years but they help in any way they can.

If they are as big as you say they are, we are a drop in the bucket of their business but they make me feel like they are there for me.

In my experience.
Mike

Maybe it's the person you deal with that makes a difference?? Tip of the hat to: Josee Houle, Tom Hammers, Patrick Lobo (retired).
Josee is great to deal with. I've also had great experiences with Ron Fluke & Spencer Channing.

lakey

Intact insurance is taking a hard stance on new companies from what I heard. Directors need 3 years driving experience or they wont even quote. How many Directors have driving experience?

TRKINSURE

Intact insurance is taking a hard stance on new companies from what I heard. Directors need 3 years driving experience or they wont even quote. How many Directors have driving experience?
Allow me to put in my 5 cents.
Intacts rules regarding prior experience are:
1 year as o/o plus 3 years driving experience (total 4 years) OR
2 years o/o, 2 years driving OR
3 years o/o experience.

To answer your question, likely no directors have driving experience, especially if they’re starting up companies that have multiple units and they came from large carriers.

There is always a story that can be told. PM me, I may be able to guide you through it.

loaders

Site Supporter
Exactly trkinsure. Most management of start up trucking companies of more than a handful of units, are usually either ex-trucking company sales staff, or perhaps operations, neither of which are likely to have much experience as a wheel holder. I would be more inclined to think that Intact's hard line approach is geared towards a former owner operator that wants to take the plunge and incorporate his own trucking company.

TRKINSURE

I have a client who’s come from management of Transforce with over a dozen years of experience. Well polished, knows his stuff, never driven truck.

It was an uphill battle but we got it done.

Always a story to be told.

lakey

Allow me to put in my 5 cents.
Intacts rules regarding prior experience are:
1 year as o/o plus 3 years driving experience (total 4 years) OR
2 years o/o, 2 years driving OR
3 years o/o experience.

To answer your question, likely no directors have driving experience, especially if they’re starting up companies that have multiple units and they came from large carriers.

There is always a story that can be told. PM me, I may be able to guide you through it.
Thanks TRKINSURE

Michael Ludwig

No one picked up on this ... "Allow me to put in my 5 cents." ... ???

The typical rate for advice or comment used to be 2 cents. Add a penny for inflation over the years, that's 3 cents. The other two cents is his brokerage fee !!!

@TRKINSURE ... You know I'm just having a little fun at your expense, right ... LOL

Jim L

No one picked up on this ... "Allow me to put in my 5 cents." ... ???

The typical rate for advice or comment used to be 2 cents. Add a penny for inflation over the years, that's 3 cents. The other two cents is his brokerage fee !!!

@TRKINSURE ... You know I'm just having a little fun at your expense, right ... LOL
Yes, but since the demise of the penny you have to use a nickel.