Fuel and Rates

Salma

How do people operate a business when fuel goes up they lower their rates?
I ask myself that question every single day! I don't get it. The price of diesel is constantly increasing, yet the rates seem to be tumbling back down to where they were BEFORE the elogs took effect.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
we're also seeing a drop in rates, customer paid us $2000, 3 times on a lane, now just told us $1475 is the price to beat, how does anyone compete with this, who is dropping the rates that low nowadays, jeez....

Paul Shteyn

Staff member
I don't think its as much of a rate drop as jumping on the rates to keep your trucks moving. All off us have already increased driver pay per mile, insurance costs keeps raising, Crude is at $71.50. I don't think rates went up but caught up. Know your worth.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
The crazy out of this world rates where always going away so all the people that only work off load boards are freaking, those of us with mostly customer freight have not seen the drop because we raised rates based on what is needed to do the job for our customer and make a profit.

Rob

Site Supporter
The crazy out of this world rates where always going away so all the people that only work off load boards are freaking, those of us with mostly customer freight have not seen the drop because we raised rates based on what is needed to do the job for our customer and make a profit.

Live and die buy the Loadlink. It was a tough couple months and lots of my loads sat in the yard until my guys could get under them but my customers are my customers still and my rates are better as lowmiler said. I post an outbound now and we still get the guys shooting for the moon but also get guys that know the market. Outbound will be back and rolling here soon the produce is starting to roll in our area.

Bet a lot of carriers are worried and or wondering who has a list of gouging prices from some of them.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
we're simply asking what price carriers need to move certain loads and you can tell who tries to take you to town. all on the same lane, 1x $2300, 1x $1700, then 5x $1400. we're not even negotiating, so right there we know where we need to be and who we shouldn't be calling to move our freight.

my previous example of $2000 down to $1475 was from a customer, so now we have those who will drop their rates to get loads and others who will gauge to get paid the most possible, good thing we all have many customers and many carriers we can deal with, just gotta keep on top of who will be good to us and who won't be.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We keep giving the don't really want it price to customers and they keep taking it which is not good we just don't have the ponies.

AccountsReceivable@DRC

Staff member
On topic...but a little off...Just came back from getting gas at my 'usual' Petro. Went to use the pump...it was prepay only. All of the pumps went into "prepay" mode. When I walked in asked why they were all "prepay" (when I happened to be paying cash & getting lotto) - was advised when gas hits $1.30 - all pumps will be prepay now. Bad enough we need to deal with gas hikes...add another inconvenience.

Guess this is to avoid "gas up & dash"....who knows....

My rant for today.

Freight Broker

Everything I am reading on the fb side in the US domestic market is the rates are off the charts 10-15 loads per truck to move in just about any area.

That's certainly been my experience as well.. Especially the shorthaul stuff.. $1800.00 for 300 miles not uncommon..

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Just had a US supplier in yesterday for a business review and they are just trying to survive with the number of trucks they can get into their plants. told him we would be increasing his rates 10 to 15% and didn't even blink an eye.

Michael Ludwig

If only I could predict lottery numbers !!!
Remember way back when I said, "...it won't be about price, it will be about who has bodies with hours, and iron they can pilot."? Seems that time is here.
$60 million on the lotto this Friday ... who knows ... ROFLMAO

MikeJr

Staff member
Mike, I've bought the winning one here already. I won't forget you, you and the wife will have a fantastic vacation, it just a question if you want to go to the same place or not. :)

Keep well sir,
Mike