Front Tires Question

ZoCNX

Is there a law/regulation about front tires of the truck must be same brand? or it's one of those myth...
...I'm looking for actual act / written regulation ...

Just to get you an idea why/what / etc
one front tire got damaged at the customer's property by their negligence. Mobile guy didn't' have same tire brand as we had on it and we replaced only damaged tire with "emergence" brand and once truck came back home we put proper tire on it. Now I have to prove the customer why they have to pay for second invoice as well.

Igor Galanter

If " emergency " tire has all same specs and a tread depth and look good all the way around I wouldn't touch it..
IMHO...

ZoCNX

Illegal because emergency tire has different pattern ... BUT which regulations says it???

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Phone your local MTO scalehouse they will give you what is right, also they love it when you ask questions shows you are not afraid to call them. We have called the Oshawa one a few times and had great experiences talking with them.

ZoCNX

Thank you lowmile88
40 minutes on the phone with MTO (he was SO nice and easy to talk to... wow... so nice) I was referred to National Safety Code Standard 11 and looks like my dilemma solved.

ZoCNX

ZoCNX, is it any different from my advice?
No, you were right: specification of the tire and the depth of it should be the same
BUT non officially I was told: if they see different brand on the front axle they would do FULL inspection. I guess it kind of a red flag for them.

bubba-one

Site Supporter
Anyone using Yokahama 104 steer tires having any problems keeping them on the truck. We've had 2 new tires blow right off the rim within the last 6 months. The first one was of concern but just thought tire pressure was low or something else. Now with 2nd one, we are coming to the conclusion there is a defect in this model. Dealer and factory rep are doing an investigation, not sure where this will go.

Rob

Site Supporter
I had a set of Yokahama about 15 years ago. Biggest POS in the world. I had them on for about 50k and they looked great no issues. 1 trip to Dallas and back and they went bald as a babies ass in one trip. Yok rep tried to blame the truck but the tireman stood up for me and called BS as the truck just had new shocks and alignment a week before and the tireman had done it. Went back to BFG and never an issue.