Flatbed tracking/security

hauling_ass

Can anyone recommend a system for tracking flatbeds?

And for securing flatbed trailers? I know of pin locks but is there anything else?

Fences and cameras don't seem to deter the thieves. :mad::mad::mad:

As always...Thank you to everyone!

MikeJr

Staff member
Isn't there a device that you can affix to the air lines preventing them from connecting to a tractor without being removed? Could be helpful in addition to a pin lock.

What about a large Rottweiler?

Keep well,
Mike

dad2andrew

I think it's less about actually stopping them from trying to take it and more about how long can you prolong the process of actually stealing things so they get fed up and move onto an easier victim.

I think a king pin lock and some metal glad hand locks are probably the best you can do for a dropped trailer.

Aren't you able to track a flatbed just as easily as with a van trailer? Just might have to get a bit creative with protecting the device from the elements without obstructing a GPS Signal.

Kevin.

Michael Ludwig

I just started installing BlackBerry Radar Lite modules on my dry vans, and you can install them on flat decks and container chassis as well. I think CP just bought 20,000 of them for their chassis. Anyways, they work pretty good. For a deck you just bolt them to a crossmember underneath the trailer.

The only other way to stop thieves from stealing them in the first place is with a secured yard and an armed guard.
(Rottweilers, Dobermans, and German Shepherds work too ... especially hungry ones)

hauling_ass

Isn't there a device that you can affix to the air lines preventing them from connecting to a tractor without being removed? Could be helpful in addition to a pin lock.

What about a large Rottweiler?

Keep well,
Mike

I am going to look into that! The air lines device not the dog...but that is a good idea!

Thanks Mike!

hauling_ass

I just started installing BlackBerry Radar Lite modules on my dry vans, and you can install them on flat decks and container chassis as well. I think CP just bought 20,000 of them for their chassis. Anyways, they work pretty good. For a deck you just bolt them to a crossmember underneath the trailer.

The only other way to stop thieves from stealing them in the first place is with a secured yard and an armed guard.
(Rottweilers, Dobermans, and German Shepherds work too ... especially hungry ones)

Michael - where did you purchase your BlackBerry Radar Lite modules? This is the first system I have heard of that will work on an open deck.

Thanks!

dad2andrew

These are a great deterrent. But, if they want the trailer bad enough, it's just a matter of taking off the secured glad hand and putting on another one. Delayed for a couple of minutes....Quite often I use one of these for mty trailers and a king pin lock plus this for loaded ones

Yes, that was my only thought on the downfall to these, but hopefully enough for someone to just look at another unit. A quick glad hand replacement and they're on the go. Hopefully the original one is in bad shape, bolts rusted and very fragile air-line that something else gets broken during the replacement. Just enough to slow them down and set their eyes on another unit.