ELOGS

barrieman

Need to know what your using for E-Logs, we all have to switch to it so trying to get jump start in it. so if you could name the one you use, initial cost outlay and monthly charges that would be great. not looking for the cheapest one, just one that is reasonably and is easy to use.

thanks in advance

Michael Ludwig

Peoplenet PD4, about $1500 per truck for equipment and $60 per month for communications. I have a lot of backend stuff to add to ours so that's going to be an additional $60k. However, the Peoplenet packages are pretty comprehensive and you can customize the features. from my own research and input from others, OmniTracs is more expensive , more problematic, and has less features. If you simply want e-logs and nothing more there are probably a number of less expensive options out there. I have not researched those as I was in the market for considerably more ROI.
Essentially Peoplenet is an onboard computing system with e-logs as one of its main applications. Our goal is to have the trucks tell the customers when they arrive and depart (geofencing), and to have our drivers scan and email paperwork as soon as its picked up and delivered which will cut way down the days to pay and invoicing cycles. Essentially the customer can be billed before the driver ever leaves the parking lot. All this coupled with document imaging significantly reduces office burden leaving the staff readily available to deal with exceptions only as opposed to dealing with everything office related.
I know I'm sounding like a Peoplenet salesman but our experience so far has been exceptionally positive. My sales contact is;

Trevor Priest
Sales Manager
Peoplenet Canada
1-905-405-9009
tpriest@peoplenetonline.com

Give him a call or drop him a note. Mention my name and maybe I'll get a free baseball cap out of it or something ... LOL

PSTC

The service we offer is $350.00 plus installation for the hardware if you are using your own Garmin Dezel, or you can have it included in your monthly plan. You can also use your Iphone or Android device.

Monthly is $49.99 and up depending on if you include a Garmin or not.

Attachments

bubba-one

Site Supporter
We've been using BigRoad.com it's an app on your cell phone, no data required except for tracking. free for the user, costs me $15 per month per truck to track, and communicate with drivers, the next step is data link to engine computer, we have 1 unit on trial at $10 per truck. This program is great to use, I can track from my cell phone at home if needed.

klodashow

We have started to give a try to Isaac Intrument, still somehow new to the market, and did some good work for us... (android based heavy duty tablet)

Does E-logs, communicating, paper scanning, etc. I have not gotten to all the extend of all it does.

Don't know about costing, because I was only involved in the techie part...

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We use Peoplenet just be very careful do your research, make sure it is and will be compatible with the US as they keep changing the rules. How long for updates on new changes etc, how and where are the records kept as they still have to be stored and available for 6 months, can they be emailed to the scale house with ease? Remember once you get ELD's running the DOT/MTO now come after you about the little things because they still have to justify all the employees and money spent.

Salma

This is an old thread that I think should be revived considering that December will be here before we know it. For those of you who were not using elogs last year but are using them now, can you please share with us what device is being used, the associated costs/monthly fees, etc. Also, how are they working out? Do the drivers like them?

Thanks all!

T800

Never had e-logs in my trucks and never will. Got rid of all the newer junk trucks last year and bought and still buying anything decent with pre 2000 power in it. Equipment acquisition cost cut by 75 % and repair and maintenance cut by 70%. Headaches cut by 100% and i even have hair starting to grow back after i had pulled it all out dealing with the new junk trucks. Drivers love it!! Not sitting 20 hrs a week because of stupid breakdowns and they now only have to fill 2 tanks instead of 3 at the pump.

Salma

We've been using BigRoad.com it's an app on your cell phone, no data required except for tracking. free for the user, costs me $15 per month per truck to track, and communicate with drivers, the next step is data link to engine computer, we have 1 unit on trial at $10 per truck. This program is great to use, I can track from my cell phone at home if needed.
If you are still using BigRoad, I am curious about the data requirements to run this app. Do you provide a data plan for your drivers or does each driver pay for their own plan? What data providers are being used since north american coverage is required?
How much monthly data on average is required per truck to run the app?

We are a small carrier and interested in this app so I have lots of questions for those who are using apps for their elogs.

snafu

Based on a few drivers that I know...

Pay raises better accompany elogs or you will lose drivers.

I personally know more than a couple who have already quit working for cross border carriers because of elogs and the cut in pay which resulted.

Personally I don't have an issue with elogs but then we get paid for every minute worked including hourly for everything on line 4 so it doesn't affect us.

ralphthetrucker

Salma, the Bigroad app consumes a negligible amount of data providing you don't leave it open on your phone or tablet. If you leave it open its like using Google maps all day, every day. I've been a user of theapp for the last few years. Works great, lawe enforcement is receptive to it and for $20/month it's affordable.

Grant C

If you are still using BigRoad, I am curious about the data requirements to run this app. Do you provide a data plan for your drivers or does each driver pay for their own plan? What data providers are being used since north american coverage is required?

We are a small carrier and interested in this app so I have lots of questions for those who are using apps for their elogs.
I own CompliancyPlus ( www.compliancyplus.ca ), we actually don't sell ELDs, but we do everything else.
Next week we're releasing a Comparison Guide on ELD providers to the public and it will give you the basics on 13 ELD platforms available, and big Road is on the list. We do not support any ELD provider exclusively, so our Guide is completely unbiased. Most ELD providers have decent platforms, but it really depends a lot on what you need, what you would actually use, your Fleet size, and what you can afford. Larger Carriers tend to go with more expensive platforms for durability and the "bells and whistles", and their budgets can usually support that choice. Smaller companies tend to go with more cost effective solutions that provide the basic requirements outlined in the FMCSA.
It's all about the right fit for your company, you wouldn't buy a brand new 16'' tire when your car has 13'' rims, no matter how awesome that 16'' tire is, right?
What is your fleet size?

Grant

Grant C

Salma, the Bigroad app consumes a negligible amount of data providing you don't leave it open on your phone or tablet. If you leave it open its like using Google maps all day, every day. I've been a user of theapp for the last few years. Works great, lawe enforcement is receptive to it and for $20/month it's affordable.
I have a great deal from Rogers on data plans and Tablets that are exclusive to my customers the same price as the ELD platform, sometimes even less depending on fleet size. Check out my website for details on this. www.compliancyplus.ca/Rogers_Data.html

Grant C

Grant C

bubba-one

Site Supporter
Salma, yes we are still using Bigroad app, great program, easy to use with or without datalink. As for data we use approx 700 mb per truck per month to track drivers. Customer satisfaction is great when you can tell them where there freight is.

Michael Ludwig

I get it that you're a small carrier, but don't overlook the options available to you by utilising the more encompassing platforms.
As an example, I've gone with Peoplenet. When you look at the basic package and compare it to cell phones, you'll probably rethink the cell phone option.
So start with basic equipment purchase. A new smart phone is going to cost you $800.00, and you have to purchase the ODBC connection. For $1500 you can install a Peoplenet Tablet.
A cell phone data package is going to cost you about $70.00 to $100.00 a month. Basic Peoplenet is going to cost you about $50.00.
Big Road is going to meet your basic e-log needs. Peoplenet is going to meet your extended e-log needs.
Peoplenet is also going to offer you tracking, communications (email & text, no voice), and quite a bit of back office automation. I can't say for sure if Big Road does that or not.
Consider what your competition is going to be using and what advantages it gives them over what you are doing.
I'm suggesting that a little more investment up front may net you additional opportunities on the back side to either ease or improve your back office operations, and your customer service.
My personal opinion on this matter is to not look at only the up front cost, but rather consider the long term effect on your business. Knowledge is power, and power is everything.

I'm sure Omni-Tracs, Zonar, and other TMS capable offers, offer the same options as Peoplenet. I'm only using them as an example because that's who we chose.

Just my humble 2 cents worth.

JN1981

We gave Big Road a try for about a year, drivers who used it for e logs were happy with it (we tested before their ECM connection device came out). We found with the tracking that it was the accuracy or functioning of the tracking to be completely dependent on the driver placing the device in the right location to get a good GPS signal and having the phone plugged in. If they didn't we could not track the truck (which was the point for us at the time). We ended up going with Zonar as it required no driver interaction for tracking (and we got diagnostics and telematics that we could not get without the ECM connection) and a good AORBD/ELD option. Our decision to use Zonar over Peoplenet came down to the fact that half of the hardware for the Elogs came factory installed in every Freightliner/Western Star as its used for the Virtual Tech, this cut our cost in more than half over the Peoplenet option. Which ever option you go with I would encourage anyone who does not already have a system spec'd and in place to get going on it yesterday, December 19th is coming fast and from what I have heard ELD hardware is getting hard to come by as the deadline approaches.

Salma

I get it that you're a small carrier, but don't overlook the options available to you by utilising the more encompassing platforms...... Just my humble 2 cents worth.
Thank-you for your suggestion Michael! I will look into this as well.