Electronic Log Books Modifing and Reporting

Paul S

Staff member
Let me ask you guys, if you know a company that has their electronic log books edited and faked in order to Violate hours of service, what would you do?

bellcitytransport

What exactly could they be doing?? Our system OmniTracs is limited. There is no way to edit driving time, unless you use personal conveyance, you can edit on duty to off duty. I guess if the driver didn't log in, there would be unassigned driving but the distance would have to be accounted for in some manner. Companies like this will come out in the wash shortly as the DOT truly start to enforce ELD compliance and those units that are actually approved. There are still many units being used that have yet to truly be certified as compliant.

Paul S

Staff member
They use Keep Trucking, if you can run 4-5 trips to Cleveland per week every week and stay within your HOS then I want to know how. Yes they reprogram the logbooks.

Paul S

Staff member
harder to prove with paper logs, going out of your way and running your drivers double time is a safety issue more then being a whistleblower. Even with paperlogs there was so much you can fake.

PSTC

Well if they are running KT, and they have ELD then the modification of the log data shows an edit. As soon as the DOT or the MTO see's that the graph colour is different, it is an easy indicator that something untoward is happening.

bellcitytransport

It's just a matter of time....this is no different then paper logs in the sense of risk. Even in the paper log days, in the event of an unimaginable event, collision, etc. There are multiple ways of finding out the truth, elogs just make it so much easier to see

Bbigrig

They use Keep Trucking, if you can run 4-5 trips to Cleveland per week every week and stay within your HOS then I want to know how. Yes they reprogram the logbooks.
Sounds like something I was asked to quote on and took a pass on it...because of the same issue you have presented

TNS_Jess

Edited logs are a red flag for any authority that is auditing.
I'm sure there is a way to report issues anonymously

Michael Ludwig

Modified logs only show up in an audit, not when they are submitted for inspection at a scale. MTO would have no idea what to do with them though, but USDOT would.
Regardless, 4 or 5 Toronto/Cleveland/Toronto rounds, with drop trailers on each end, are possible in a week ... more so with e-log than with paper.
My guess would be they are running to Cleveland, drop/switch and head back to the border. They pick up 2 hours once on the Canadian side. I would expect they PC back to Fort Erie before they start another round.

Michael Ludwig

Yep, would still work if they were fairly quick in Cleveland.
It's not right what I suggested. Just my guess as to how it's being done.

Paul S

Staff member
I guess, with no customs or loading time and delivery time that's about extra 5-6 hrs right there, your also forgetting he has to drive to a pick up and then to a delivery.

Michael Ludwig

It's roughly 12 hours and 35 minutes driving from Toronto to Cleveland and back. Driver has a 14 hour day, of which he can drive 11 hours in the U.S. and he picks up an extra 2 hours driving when he crosses back into Canada. Goes off duty as soon as he hits the dock back in Toronto. That would definitely work for the first round of the week, assuming all the stars line up at shipping, receiving, and customs. If the driver uses PC (personal conveyance) miles back to Fort Erie, then he's golden for the rest of the week. Do an 8/2 split on Friday, reset over the weekend, and he's good for another week.
Again, I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying if I were going to cook the books, that would be how I would do it. Although, if the driver lives in the Fort Erie area, that's not cooking the books at all and is "grey area" legal for the PC miles, especially if he is running empty to Cleveland.

PSTC

It's roughly 12 hours and 35 minutes driving from Toronto to Cleveland and back. Driver has a 14 hour day, of which he can drive 11 hours in the U.S. and he picks up an extra 2 hours driving when he crosses back into Canada. Goes off duty as soon as he hits the dock back in Toronto. That would definitely work for the first round of the week, assuming all the stars line up at shipping, receiving, and customs. If the driver uses PC (personal conveyance) miles back to Fort Erie, then he's golden for the rest of the week. Do an 8/2 split on Friday, reset over the weekend, and he's good for another week.
Again, I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying if I were going to cook the books, that would be how I would do it. Although, if the driver lives in the Fort Erie area, that's not cooking the books at all and is "grey area" legal for the PC miles, especially if he is running empty to Cleveland.
Except for him to run personal miles, he cannot have a trailer attached. So that doesn't fly.