ELDs in Ontario

hauling_ass

Mar 15, 2010
Best/worst ELD providers in Ontario? We are an Ontario based carrier - no US travel - so we don't need the ELDs just yet. However, we are getting ready!
I would appreciate any advice on good providers and who to stay away from.
Also...cell phones as ELDs?

Thank you!
HA

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2008
I would talk to your insurance company, they did a presentation last week at the OTA and apparently there are some cell phones that you can change any status you like without it showing that a change was made. The insurance companies are going to start not insuring companies that use certain systems because of the ease of falsification. We use Peoplenet and it works great but we have been a customer for 18 years so never looked at any other product.

GaryS

Jun 14, 2018
I would talk to your insurance company, they did a presentation last week at the OTA and apparently there are some cell phones that you can change any status you like without it showing that a change was made. The insurance companies are going to start not insuring companies that use certain systems because of the ease of falsification. We use Peoplenet and it works great but we have been a customer for 18 years so never looked at any other product.
I was told the exact same thing by my insurance company.

Salma

Jan 16, 2009
Do you know if it's the type of cell phone specifically or is it the app that is being used? My suspicion is that it is probably certain settings within the app itself but I could be wrong. Maybe they can enable/disable the GPS tracking or something...
Any cross-border carriers have to use an "approved" ELD or AOBRD so I'm wondering if Canada will follow suit once ELDs are mandatory.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2008
It is cell phone based and the driver can make the changes, basically a paperlog, the scary part is that it is on the FMCSA website as approved (which is self certification by the provider) that is why Canada is pushing for a 3rd party certification. Apparently there are 3000 users in Canada so you can guess how many in the US, truly scary when you think about it. I'm not going to give the name out I would not advertise this as I'm sure people would jump all over it.