Drivers being turned away at border?

crosgre

Did anyone have issues with drivers being turned away at the border last night? My team have been hearing all sorts of stories and I am trying to find the actual truth.
The stories were that some drivers that are landed immigrants on work permits were turned away at the border. I was sent screen shots of one drivers paperwork that read non Canadian Citizen and I don't know if that was real or forged. It is my understanding that drivers on 'legal' work visas are not subject to the restrictions announced yesterday.

Trans

Yes, a lot of Drivers on a work visa (They are not Immigrants of Canada) denied entry going into the US. Because of Canada will not allow them to come back to the Country as they are not Citizens or Immigrants of Canada. so everyone on work or study visa have till tomorrow to return to Canada if they fail to come back they will have to stay US side. The US did the right thing and denied entry otherwise there will be thousands of drivers who would have nowhere to go after tomorrow.

Also, the US did allow some drivers to cross borders last night by mistake but they will have a problem coming back. So if you have any way to let the carriers know that not to send work visa drivers at the border then please do it, as that will help your load not stuck at the border.

Brokers need to ask the nationality of the driver just to cover their tracks. I don't know about anybody else but some of my community people do not understand the easy way and they will be sending drivers In & Out. This will hurt the availability of Trucks for sure......................................................................

imx_kang

yes, there were problems yesterday, I think the Canadian gov't needs to clarify this further. I think the Canadian gov't meant to say Canadian residents, which would include the work permit holders, but sometimes US side has a different way of interpreting things.

thebluffs1

Site Supporter
my reading of it was that as long as they had permanent residency, they would be fine. If they had not yet attained PR status, they would be stopped.