Driver Arrivals

bull958

Site Supporter
Had a CBSA officer tell my driver today that as of Monday, all drivers arriving back in Canada must have an APP on their phone. I'm assuming she was talking about ArriveCAN. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Jim L

Yes, most of my drivers use it. The driver downloads the app, fill in the questionnaire and gets a 6 digit code. They write the 6 digit code on their ACI manifest and no questions are asked. The next day the driver is expected to open the app and confirm that there are no changes to their health. I think most of my drivers do this daily.

bull958

Site Supporter
Thanks Jim. I had heard of the APP before, but have heard nothing about it being mandatory as of this Monday. There is nothing on the website about it either.

tasuinam

Yes, most of my drivers use it. The driver downloads the app, fill in the questionnaire and gets a 6 digit code. They write the 6 digit code on their ACI manifest and no questions are asked. The next day the driver is expected to open the app and confirm that there are no changes to their health. I think most of my drivers do this daily.
Can you confirm that this is mandatory?

Jim L

It is not mandatory at this time but officers are required to ask COVID screening questions(although some do not). Having this app will avoid the questions as you have already answered them on the app.

Rob

Site Supporter
It is not mandatory at this time but officers are required to ask COVID screening questions(although some do not). Having this app will avoid the questions as you have already answered them on the app.

Thanks Jim my brother was on the phone for over an hour with the app folks and could not get answer. They did not understand what a cross border trucker was and why they would need to cross.

But hey they are doing a heck of a job with covid so good in fact we have a preplanned 3rd wave with an April date already isn't that nice of them. Happy truckin folks i do believe we are in for a shit show at some point JT is going to mandate that drivers take a test to cross mark my words he is dumb enough to do it.

tasuinam

Thanks Jim my brother was on the phone for over an hour with the app folks and could not get answer. They did not understand what a cross border trucker was and why they would need to cross.

But hey they are doing a heck of a job with covid so good in fact we have a preplanned 3rd wave with an April date already isn't that nice of them. Happy truckin folks i do believe we are in for a shit show at some point JT is going to mandate that drivers take a test to cross mark my words he is dumb enough to do it.
New business opportunity - move loaded trailers from one yard - cross the border and drop in a US yard - and bring one back.... good home time, weekends off... lol

Michael Ludwig

The utter chaos (there is no better word) that this will bring to the supply chain is unfathomable. Trucks that typically do 3 cross-border turns in a week will be down to 1 or 2 at the most.
Where is all this extra capacity going to come from?
Rates will skyrocket as companies attempt to secure capacity.
The general populace will be in a complete dither because pork chops are no longer "just appearing" at the grocery store. They'll be mad as hell because their Amazon shipments will be delayed by days.

Truly ... I liked it better when the Prime Minister and the Village Idiot were two different people.

BPOVFB

Push it through the ELD, problem solved... maybe Wendell and the crew at the OTA can put in a word for ya.

It hurts me to see that you're eating all your rations from the bunker already... it's an app guys.....

Michael Ludwig

Of course it's just an app, but that's not really the point. The point is they are talking about actual testing either at the border (most likely) or prior to the border and within X hours.

The heart of the problem is why is the government trying to solve a problem that does not exist ???

Commercial drivers crossing the border are not the problem. If they were, we all would have heard about it, and we certainly would have experienced it.

BPOVFB

The border test stuff, fair - that's silliness, agreed. Unless drivers are tested daily and data collected, we would really never know the actual transmission rate of COVID via truck drivers (especially with asymptomatic..), so any speculation is merely opinion at this point. I would say there may be more... "hot" areas to target first regarding transmission. The logistics of this will never fly - it's just talk, we wont see tests at borders - but I can get an egg sandwich at Tims now.

Michael Ludwig

I don't know about that ... without getting too political, the part time drama teacher seems pretty determined to make mountains out of mole hills.
On the upside though, if he does institute testing at the border, and the populace does run out of their grocery store favourites, it will be highly unlikely that he would be re-elected ... Blue, Orange, and Green would be all over that like white on rice ... LOL

tasuinam

The utter chaos (there is no better word) that this will bring to the supply chain is unfathomable. Trucks that typically do 3 cross-border turns in a week will be down to 1 or 2 at the most.
Where is all this extra capacity going to come from?
Rates will skyrocket as companies attempt to secure capacity.
The general populace will be in a complete dither because pork chops are no longer "just appearing" at the grocery store. They'll be mad as hell because their Amazon shipments will be delayed by days.

Truly ... I liked it better when the Prime Minister and the Village Idiot were two different people.
Me thinks it will be more profitable to 'sell' my load rather than deliver it - you know '..oops...the driver had to make a stop' lol

MarkD

Site Supporter
The border test stuff, fair - that's silliness, agreed. Unless drivers are tested daily and data collected, we would really never know the actual transmission rate of COVID via truck drivers (especially with asymptomatic..), so any speculation is merely opinion at this point. I would say there may be more... "hot" areas to target first regarding transmission. The logistics of this will never fly - it's just talk, we wont see tests at borders - but I can get an egg sandwich at Tims now.
I would have said we will never see mandatory quarantine hotels at the travelers expense. I'm still trying to use my Air Transat credit from a year ago before airlines and the resorts they service go bankrupt. I have no idea how a year into this we are so much worse off (governed) then we were 3,6,9 months ago.